cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number details

PhilipB_1885921
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I joined SMARTY last month and ported my number from my previous network provider. All seemed to go well: this number appears on my SMARTY dashboard and calls/messages are coming in, plus this is the number that shows for me when I contact others. 
However, I have received a message on my phone (iPhone SE 2020) to say that ‘This number is registered to your Apple ID but is not associated with this phone.’

I apparently have four days to resolve. 
Settings>Phone>My number is showing the original SMARTY SIM number, not the ported number. I seem to be able to edit this, but not to save the edit (there is a ‘save’ , but pressing this just returns me to the previous screen with the number unchanged). 

Anyone able to help, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AlecEdworthy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hello,

When I did my port this week the number shown in Settings, Phone, My Number didn't update following the port which broke iMessage and FaceTime. The fix was to reset network settings (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and after this my number was correctly recognised. Be warned, doing this reset will make your phone forget any wireless networks you have previously joined which isn't the end of the world, but annoying 🙂

Kind regards, Alec 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Sign-in online, using a web browser, at https://appleid.apple.com using your AppleID and check what devices are linked to your AppleID. 
You may find the number you wanted to keep is actually linked to another Apple device, and not the SE (2020).

Another option is to perform a "Network Reset" on your iPhone SE (2020).

🍀

Checked the AppleID and this was as it should be. 
so, resorted to the Network Reset, which seems to have worked. Many thanks. 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

From memory, this can be linked to iMessage on iPhones, which may still retain the original sim number. turn it off and then on again as a first, simple action.

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately I have tried the on/off approach several times without success. 

AlecEdworthy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hello,

When I did my port this week the number shown in Settings, Phone, My Number didn't update following the port which broke iMessage and FaceTime. The fix was to reset network settings (Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and after this my number was correctly recognised. Be warned, doing this reset will make your phone forget any wireless networks you have previously joined which isn't the end of the world, but annoying 🙂

Kind regards, Alec 

Thanks for this suggestion and details on how to do it. It looks like it has worked. Much appreciated. 

Thank you, it worked!

Tap Reset, then Reset Network Settings. 

this has changed the number however, when I go into FaceTime it shows my correct number but states this number only has 23 days left for iMessage and FaceTime as it states this number is registered to your Apple ID but is not associated with this phone. 

@SueGrat_2552364 Some research on this seems to indicate that firstly the number in Settings should be changed and then log out of FaceTime and iMessage, wait a while and then log back in.

If the number of the phone in Settings has been changed, then hopefully the should tally with what FaceTime and iMessage are seeing and hopefully you won't get that warning.

Have tried that, my FaceTime and iMessage is now correct on my IPad but my phone is still showing the 23 day warning with a timer symbol against the number. This is very annoying.

@SueGrat_2552364 Have you tried signing out on the iPad, performing the change on the phone and then signing back in on the iPad?

@SueGrat_2552364  Did you try the advice given in the Accepted Solution to the problem?

StreetPea
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

This worked. After many, many posts this has actually done what I needed. Why can’t Smarty just direct people to do that? Anyway, thank you!

CRJ23
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I’m having this same issue currently. I’ve tried many ways to fix including the network rest mentioned here and no matter what I try the temp number still shows in my phone settings and when I try and change and save it just immediately resorts back to the temp number. It’s driving me up the wall! 

@CRJ23  It depends partly upon whether your phone is iPhone or Android.

It seems that the phones 'remember' the number originally assigned to the sim and when you port in your own number, this causes the issue.

For iPhone, did you follow the solution marked for this post?

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@CRJ23  Also, does your Account Dashboard show the number that you ported in?

When you call another phone, check which caller number shows.

CRJ23
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi, it’s an iPhone 13 Pro max I have. I have tried the solution in the posts as well as many other numerous ones from other websites. None have worked. My number is showing as the ported number on my smarty account and dashboard and when I call people. People also call me on the ported number with no issues. So it’s definitely completed the port but my iPhone is still recognising the temp number so I can’t use iMessage or FaceTime and the phone settings won’t let me change and save the ported number. It’s just reverts back to the temp number. 

@CRJ23  As a last resort, I wonder whether a replacement sim could be a solution.

You can order one from your dashboard - your account would be locked until the replacement is activated.

I cannot think of anything else at the moment; it really does seem strange. You did actually sign out of iMessage and FaceTime ?