cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is there a way to move your number away from Smarty, but keep your account with a new SIM?

marcosscriven
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I'd like to use my main number with another provider (by using a PAC code), but also keep my Smarty account with a new SIM/number.

Support tell me this isn't possible, and that if ever I want another Smarty SIM, I'd have to use a different email address (which is not impossible, but inconvenient).

They also said this was the industry standard thing to do, which makes me feel like they've just misunderstood.

Has anyone done this, or know the real reason it's not possible? As a software engineer myself, it sounds like it's the sort of thing their database just isn't setup for that, and customer service people can only tell customers the workaround.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @marcosscriven the best workaround for this would be after your number is transferred away to contact our Support Team who can wipe your email - you can then set up a new account with the same email (make sure auto-renew is off on your original account). 

When you transfer your number away we can't set back up the same account - as we would normally do this with the number you have stopped using. @BarrySa_1772508 is also correct with the nickname SIM, but if you would rather a cleaner account then the scrub would be the best option for you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

PeterC
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

How about adding a second SIM to your Smarty accout and then asking for a PAC code of the first SIM? Not sure if it would work or whether the account is linked to the first SIM you got.

Jomac
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

The simple answer is yes!

Get a new SIM from another network, (that is assuming you dont want to use the number you are saving with Smarty) register the new SIM. Then ask Smarty for a PAC code which you give to the new network and the transfer shouldnt take very long. Now Smarty may simply provide a new number for your existing SIM that holds your new number. There is also an automated process which involves your new SIM provider doing all the work, you may need to investigate this.

I would have thought this would close the OPโ€™s account when the port goes through.

Instead, would an option be:

a) Add a โ€˜Nickname SIMโ€™ as part of a group (so it is under the same E-mail address as the original SIM), this SIM having a new Smarty number, then

b) Port out the original number.

Iโ€™m new to Smarty though, so am happy to receive feedback on if this will achieve the OPโ€™s aims, and any flaws Iโ€™ve missed.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Looking at this post:

https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/number-change/td-p/568

smarty can assign a new number to your SIM e.g. in cases of harassment. However, if you port out your number, I agree with others in thinking that it will probably close your account.

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @marcosscriven the best workaround for this would be after your number is transferred away to contact our Support Team who can wipe your email - you can then set up a new account with the same email (make sure auto-renew is off on your original account). 

When you transfer your number away we can't set back up the same account - as we would normally do this with the number you have stopped using. @BarrySa_1772508 is also correct with the nickname SIM, but if you would rather a cleaner account then the scrub would be the best option for you.

Thanks @George 

A few follow-ups if I may:

1. I see you're a moderator - are you also on Smarty support staff? If so, can you update their guidance because I was specifically told this was not possible.

2. Regarding @BarrySa_1772508's idea - how will that leave my account less "clean" (as you put it)? Would it allow me to preserve the ยฃ10 credit I have?

3. Smarty support staff said (and I quote exactly): "But all the telecom companies follow the company policy". They were frustratingly robotic on this, and wouldn't accept this was just a limitation of Smarty's infrastructure software. From a software point of view it would be relatively simple to implement.

Hey marcosscriven

I will be feeding back your experience to the team so that they can improve in future we do appreciate the feedback. 

I think he means that, it may be easier and quicker to do it this way rather than have it  be part of a group plan