cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check it's you at every login.... ARRGGHH

Rooster_No1
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Do we REALLY need to jump through the security number text message palava everytime we log in    ?

I appreciate there's a "remember this browser " button, but that's so old tech...

My browser deletes all cookies on closure (a very good habit for all net users BTW)

So the presumed cookie gets deleted.

As long as my ips remain the same, this shouldn't be necessary ... come on guys   !

11 REPLIES 11

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Are you always using the same IP address @Rooster_No1
If your network clients use DHCP, you may not always get the same IP address, depending on your DHCP setup.

It does seem that just about everybody that keeps online payment card details for their customer accounts is now using 2FA in the sign-in process, which I believe might be required for PCI compliance. 

Your local ip has no bearing on the issue.... it's your external ip that the server sees.

Also, while on the mobile network your ip will be changing anyway....

I can understand the need for 2fa where money is involved , but this is a forum  !

If it gets people into the habit of thinking more about security, I think it's no bad thing.

Hardly a big task to log in really.

I guess because SMARTY Mobile's community is currently only for SMARTY account holders, SMARTY used the same online sign-in process operating for your SMARTY account, which requires 2FA.

Perhaps when the SMARTY community allows non-SMARTY account holders to be members, the sign-in process could change. 

In most cases I believe your external IP address is usually allocated by DHCP, whether you're using a mobile network, or a fixed-line network. There are a few network operators, which allow customers to pay a subscription for a fixed IP address though.

lukefow_2033993
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

the remember this browser does not work, i am still asked for verification

@lukefow_2033993  This was covered in another post as others have the problem. It will only remember if the device has another form of security enabled.

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

You only have yourself to blame for this situation. You've got your browser set to automatically clear cookies when you close it, which means when you return to the Smarty website, it has no idea who you are. It cannot use your IP address to determine this, as your public IP address changes regularly. On top of this, in common with most mobile networks in the UK, Smarty uses CG-NAT (Carrier Grade Network Address Translation) meaning your public IP address is shared with a number of other customers.

no i dont have my browser set to clear cookies! i am getting **bleep** annoyed with this login system now

@lukefow_2033993  No point in getting annoyed as Smarty are unlikely to change it anytime soon. This is not a problem for everyone it seems - my browser Safari seems to be able to remember unless I log out

the website should be made to work with all major browsers i am using edge, it is **bleep** annoying to have to go and get my phone every time i want to login!

Hi Luke. My comment was in response to the original poster, who said that they  have their browser set to clear cookies on close.