cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my phone number

kayleigh_946125
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi, how do I go about changing my phone number without starting a new plan?

thank you

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@kayleigh_946125  Do you want to bring in a number from a network you were using before recently transferring to Smarty. If so: https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/faq/getting-started-with-smarty/ta-p/36

If you mean that you want a totally new number, you will need to web chat with Support Team and give a good reason why you need such a change. For example, if you have reported harassment to the police, that might be a reason .

Handy51
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I don't feel one has to give a reason, that would be a privacy thing for me. Thank you for the response though, probably I will have to go to webchat, I am facing the same issue, I don't want to shell out another 12 quid for a separate plan, the mind boggles that such a simple option is not available. I will have a look around the community and see if I can find another solution, if not then Web Chat it is!

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Simple solution : 

Request a STAC code by texting STAC ddmmyy to 65075 (Where ddmmyy is your date of birth)

Then, get a SIM card from *another network* and give them the STAC code, which will terminate your Smarty account AND number, and give you a BRAND NEW NUMBER. 

Then, you can either stay with the new network or port the new number back to Smarty. 

This process will achieve your desired aim and is simple, although of course it may not be as quick as you would like, as yiu would have to stay with a new network for at least 30 days.

*STAC - Service Termination Authority Code

@Handy51  'I don't feel one has to give a reason, that would be a privacy thing for me' - Why do you believe that a network should change the number of any customer who requests it, possibly on a whim, without good reason?

@JJP2  has given you another solution which I think will work - but quite a kerfuffle. You could also simply not buy a new plan on existing sim and activate a new one (with its new random number) next month.

I don't see too many other solutions being offered here and members of the forum have had two months to come up with something if I had missed the obvious.

Handy51
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Well, in the end, I took my existing plan down from £12 100gb down to £6 4gb for the renewal this weekend so I still have the capacity to call, text and a wee bit of data to get me through the next few days, then I took out a totally new plan and account on my original £12 100gb deal. Simply because I could at least save six quid.  Also, in my experience, the task of changing one's number can be gargantuan when one considers both social and bills, banking, yadda yadda, so it's easier to do it over a few days, and if the cost of that is only 6 quid then I don't mind. In other words I have changed my position, some folks may like it instantaneous, but like I say, some of us have a lot to change.

@Handy51  I'm pleased that it has worked out for you with the required end result.

I still think that it would have been worth a web chat with Support Team to see if they would assist. I'm sure that many customers have issues like being harassed etc and, although I have no direct experience, I'm sure you could get a sympathetic ear without giving a load of personal info. It would also have saved you opening another account etc.

In the end, all's well that ends well 👍