cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All calls out result in engaged tone (beep....beep...beep) after a longish silent delay.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

As in the title, any call I make starts with longish silent delay before I get beep...beep...beep.  Don't know if I can receive calls[1]. I can send and receive SMS (at least I just sent one to myself okay).

My set up is a sim in a Huawei B311 router. Been working okay for yonks up to now.

One other detail (may or may not be related). When I switch on my system I get a different IP address to the last time (used to always get the same, I think).

Any ideas? tia

[1] Have asked a friend to text me, but they're a late riser.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I used to have that router, and I recall that for voice calls it would drop down to 3G (I don't think it supports VoLTE - voice calls over 4G).

Three (Smarty's parent network) are this week switching off most of their 3G coverage, and I suspect that has now happened in your area, meaning going forward, only a device that supports VoLTE is going to be able to make and receive calls on Three's network.

The other networks have also either already turned off 3G or are in the process of doing so, but in the case of networks other than Three, they also have 2G coverage still available, which I think the Huawei would be able to drop down to for calls.

View solution in original post

One thing to be mindful of is that even a router that supports VoLTE may not be compatible with the VoLTE on Smarty's/Three's network, due to the sightly different ways different mobile device manufacturers and different mobile network equipment manufacturers implement VoLTE.

Technically, I don't think Smarty 'support' (i.e. make any promises it will work) making and receiving calls from routers on their network, but as long as you buy a device which is returnable, you should be able to test it out on Smarty anyway, then either return it or test it on one on the other networks if it doesn't work on Smarty.

If you do test a VoLTE device, try some long calls (say over 30 mins, both incoming and outgoing) as issues I've read about with VoLTE compatibility include calls only working in one direction, or calls disconnecting after a period of time.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I used to have that router, and I recall that for voice calls it would drop down to 3G (I don't think it supports VoLTE - voice calls over 4G).

Three (Smarty's parent network) are this week switching off most of their 3G coverage, and I suspect that has now happened in your area, meaning going forward, only a device that supports VoLTE is going to be able to make and receive calls on Three's network.

The other networks have also either already turned off 3G or are in the process of doing so, but in the case of networks other than Three, they also have 2G coverage still available, which I think the Huawei would be able to drop down to for calls.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Yes, I think you're right. When I dial out  the Network Status Indicator light turns from Cyan (LTE network) to blue (3G network). And yes, it can drop down to 2G.

So I need  to either buy a new modem or switch to another provider. Hmm...

Thank you Smarty Trousers for the speedy reply and useful info.

fuzzy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for the Huawei B311 4G Router?

One thing to be mindful of is that even a router that supports VoLTE may not be compatible with the VoLTE on Smarty's/Three's network, due to the sightly different ways different mobile device manufacturers and different mobile network equipment manufacturers implement VoLTE.

Technically, I don't think Smarty 'support' (i.e. make any promises it will work) making and receiving calls from routers on their network, but as long as you buy a device which is returnable, you should be able to test it out on Smarty anyway, then either return it or test it on one on the other networks if it doesn't work on Smarty.

If you do test a VoLTE device, try some long calls (say over 30 mins, both incoming and outgoing) as issues I've read about with VoLTE compatibility include calls only working in one direction, or calls disconnecting after a period of time.

Okay. I have a (as yet unused Nothing) smart phone that I have now used (with the sim from the modem) to make a call I needed to make. Am now thinking whether to use that and learn about Tethering or go for a new modem with the caveats you mention. Life seems to be getting more complicated as the years go by :-(.

Thanks again for taking the time to coney very helpful information. Best regards, fuzzy.