cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£18 Unlimited data sim

MarkSwee_222671
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am trying to order an £18 unlimited data sim from my dashboard and when I click the view plans and select the unlimited, I end up at my dsashboard with no notification that my sim order has gone through. No email has been sent to state I have ordered the sim so I can only assume the sim has not been ordered. I am in touch with Help but they are not reading the email properly and have just sent me a link to buy the sim, but then it does not buy or send an email to say I have purchased.

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarkSwee_222671 I think that you will need a separate account for the new sim. You can then join them in a group. I think that you may find this article helpful:https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3417277-what-is-a-group-plan

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@MarkSwee_222671 Just wondering do you have an active sim with a current Smarty plan or are you trying to start with a new sim and plan?

If you already have a plan on the go, you would only be able to change when the plan expires

I do already have a smarty SIM for phone calls etc. I just want an extra SIM for data only to place in a 5g router.

@MarkSwee_222671 I think that you will need a separate account for the new sim. You can then join them in a group. I think that you may find this article helpful:https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3417277-what-is-a-group-plan

Thanks MDF you're a supastar, that worked SIM ordered, I'm now a happy bunny 🙂

@MarkSwee_222671 Glad it worked!

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

The £18 deal seems to be unlimited data  with voice and SMS. The unlimited data alone seems to be £20. What's to stop you using the first, cheaper one in a router  and just not using voice services?

@Brookhouse  You make a good point. The standard voice and data plan is on a special offer at the moment and the takes it to the £18 you mention.

This has been discussed on another post a while ago and it's hard to see why you would not simply put a voice & data sim in a router to meet your needs. Nobody identified any differences as I recall.

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I would be tempted as I would take the SIM to the EU for voice, SMS and data roaming in a spare phone, and back into a router when home again!

@Brookhouse That makes sense! Why to use it anyway in the UK?

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

I have a non-roaming package on my main phone and I need Internet connection at home but don't want to take out an 18/24 month broadband contract as I move around. So the data SIM is attractive, but data SIM with with voice and SMS package is more attractive if it's cheaper!

@Brookhouse Don't forget that you will still be subject to a 'fair usage policy' and mobile internet is not intended to replace broadband. It's not always as reliable, for one thing.

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

So is there a "fair use policy" on the data-only SIM? Is that actually the difference?

Yes, I appreciate the mobile Internet won't be as reliable but it is an interim solution until I know where I am living and then I'll sign up for broadband or even fibre to the premises 😉

@Brookhouse  Terms and Conditions 5.16 seems to just about cover it I think.

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Thanks. Pasted in for reference. Seems it is uncapped. I would use occasionally for voice and SMS anyway, and only one connected device so would probably not cause concern!

5.16 Our Unlimited Voice Plans are for personal, non-commercial use only and can be used in SIM enabled mobile devices, tablets laptops and portable mobile WI-FI devices and the data is uncapped for this use. This SIM card should not be used as a permanent long-term alternative to home broadband. If we determine in our sole opinion that your use of the SMARTY Services is in breach of these Terms and Conditions and/or exceeds that reasonably expected of someone using the Service for legitimate personal, non-commercial use, then we may at our discretion terminate (in accordance with Section 9), or Suspend (in accordance with Section 8), or restrict your SMARTY Service. As an example, without limitation, we consider that if you regularly tether more than 8 devices that this is unlikely to be legitimate personal, non-commercial use.

@Brookhouse Yes, it is uncapped and I think that Smarty are reserving the right to close down people who are running a business through it or else streaming vast amounts of data.

My only other thought.....is it worth ditching the main package on your phone and running two Smarty sims as a group? You get 10% discount (but doesn't apply if a plan is already on a special offer)

Brookhouse
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Ah thanks. My main phone is on a legacy out of contract package with a largEE (😉) provider, which still has EU roaming but is no longer competitive. So I may transfer to Smarty. I have a second backup phone with a cheap Smarty package, so the model you suggest is interesting.

(If I renegotiate the package, I'll lose EU roaming, and also be on a 24 month contract.)

@Brookhouse  - Sounds like 'Heads they win - Tails you lose' !!

Wait! What's that I can hear? Is it the sound of KB rubbing his hands together? or is it the sound of the snake slithering all over your wallet? (hope the wallet is synthetic material or else the snake may try to mate with it!!!!!!)