Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Open Discussion] Console Wars: Xbox vs PlayStation

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Featured_Post_Games_Room@1x.png

So the big question is – Xbox or PlayStation and WHY?  

There is a lot to consider when choosing the right console, the value for money, the exclusive games, the graphics, the performance, GamePass/PS Plus and even the apps available on both consoles! We are lucky to have such a variety of features to choose from!

Personally, I am a fan of Xbox and have been since the Xbox 360. I am currently using the Xbox Series S which does not include the disc tray, this was way more affordable for me than the Series X. Luckily, I prefer to download my games through the store so not having the disc tray isn’t a huge issue!

I enjoy being able to use Discord so I can communicate with friends using PlayStation when playing cross platform games , this has only recently been introduced and it’s already one of my favourite benefits! The Game Pass allows me to download free games that I maybe couldn’t afford at the time of release, this has introduced me to some great games that I never thought I’d like! My favourite game at the moment is Apex Legends, it’s also a bonus that it’s free to play!

My opinion could be biased as I’ve never played the PlayStation but I am interested to know what everyone’s opinions are and what games you all like to play! 

17 REPLIES 17

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Let the battle begin😆

I am a diehard PlayStation fan.

Used to game on PC but moved over to PlayStation since PS3 release and never looked back.

PlayStation exclusives such as Uncharted, The Last of Us are masterpieces, however my favourite one must be the God of War series. Currently, I'm chipping away at God of War 2018 so I can start on God of War Ragnarok.

Was on the fence about getting PS5 but in the end I'm glad I did, although it's rather huge. Went for the disc drive version as I have a lot of PS4 games on discs.

Got to agree with The Last of us, I really enjoyed this game and enjoying the TV series of it even more. I'm not a hard core gamer though, I tend to dip in and out of games, but currently a PS4 user and playing Mafia trilogy, sometimes a bit glitchy but a decent game! Think of it as GTA V but back in the 1920s & 30s. 

Nathan
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

As a PC user....

Kidding, I've got a PS5 at the moment and I love all the new features they have added. The controller really is an amazing addition. I feel like over the last few years Sony has really focused on bringing amazing singleplayer experiences to the platform. These games such as Last of us, Ratchet & Clank, Ghost of tsushima are simply masterpieces and on the "Big" TV in the living room have led to some of the best cinematic experiences I've had.

I've always felt that Xbox was the place to be for multiplayer gaming however with the integration of Xbox Apps on PC & discord I've found that PC has been the best place to get my multiplayer fix. I think that the value that consoles offer is mind blowing especially with all the different price ranges i.e. Discless consoles. 

Gamepass has changed the game and only cemented Xbox as the best value in gaming. So if its a conversation around value Team Xbox wins hands down. 

If its a choice of games & features I'm sorry Jodie, This one goes to Playstation.

MarkyR74
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Last gen I had a PS4, had a PS4 Pro too and hated it as it was so LOUD! Unfortunately I got bored of Sonys games all seemingly being the same over the shoulder story simulators, and I'll never forgive Naughty Dog for ruining The Last Of Us with part 2!!.... Fore!...

So this gen I've gone Xbox only, I had a One S last gen and my favourite console ever was the Xbox 360S.

I have a Series X now, love it, Game Pass has been a game changer for me, so many excellent titles on it. And it's such a quiet machine. Also my all time favourite game series is Gears Of War, can't get enough of that. 
So yeah Xbox for me.

I had a Steam Deck too which I sold, I found myself just playing Xbox all the time, because if it's console ease of use and Game Pass. Steam Deck is a little user un-friendly IMO. Sticking with Xbox.

I'm slightly sad to hear your impressions of the Steam Deck. I've had my eyes on one for a long time. 

I love my Switch but that hardware is getting old now and it's struggling to run a lot of new titles. So for me, a steam deck would have been a great little thing to play smaller indie titles on.

You're right about the 3rd person action game fatigue however I do think that like anything in moderation. The first-party Sony games are outstanding. I think if you were to play each one back to back it would be a little "Samey" however going back to them like an old friend once every couple of years and just immersing yourself in the worlds Sony Studios have created will always be a great time for me.

I cut my teeth with multiplayer gaming on Halo 3 & COD4 on Xbox360 so that console will always have a special place in my heart. 

A new Switch will be out soon. This year or next. I'll look at it. I've had 3 Switches before. Sold the last one to help fund the Steam Deck, it is a very adaptable  and powerful system, but I just had mine in its dock collecting dust, it is a pain as not all games will turn the screen in when you wake it from sleep, you have to install some third party patch from somewhere to fix that apparently. And then it is a pain to boot into desktop mode to use with a monitor. Guess I got hired of it. I worked in IT for years before but these days prefer something simpler lol.

YulianK
SMARTY Community Manager SMARTY Community Manager
SMARTY Community Manager

Gears of War series is definitely one of the Xbox games PlayStation doesn't have an answer for. I think the closest were Resistance and Killzone but you would have to combine both and add a 3rd person view. 🤔

As for the gaming fatigue, its real but applies to all platforms. Even as a huge God of War fan, I will not be playing Ragnarok when I finish GOW 2018. I'll probably give Cyberpunk 2077 a go, mix it up a bit with Star Wars Squadrons and COD, maybe even give some indie platformer a chance.

Fortunately we are spoiled for choice when it comes to games.

JasonEma_415418
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Currently I have XS,but I wish I had gone with the PS5.Only because I always play with a dac/amp but mircrosoft only supports Astro amps which are very poor compared to my soundblaster G6 so chat is not supported with xbox,plus I'm still waiting for the new maxwell headset on preorder which is also waiting for mircrosoft approval.But playstation users are already enjoying the maxwell in the uk.I only really play battlefield games,I would of had no headache if I had gone with the PS5

Hey @JasonEma_415418 

Some really great points were mentioned! I didn't even know about this so it's great to learn something new! 

😁no worries Jodie

DelDeeSmartE
Team SMARTY
Team SMARTY

I'm Xbox and have been since 2008 - Microsoft are pretty clever at keeping you going through the different variants of consoles with the G points. (think I have 15,000, so not willing to give up my hard earned G's by switching to PS5)
I enjoy playing games with my son now, we're currently working through wobblylife, roblox, minecraft and the occasional game of fortnite. I'd never heard of the app so will give that a try so he can talk to his pals on PS5. Thanks Jodie!

SimonCar_165798
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Doesn't matter with Hutchinsons lines you will be lucky if you dont get kicked from servers then theres mui issue. They'll say congestion, wifi interruption etc but when signal is 100% and you still keep getting zeroed out on dl for over a second then both are unplayable.

But xbox series x is better in performance and microsoft ultimate pass is better than PS+ . Then theres fact xboxs ultimate pass can be used across xbox , mobile and pc now. So it only needs a small time to assess which is best.

The thing ps5 has going for them are ps only games and controller's, new ps controllers are better than xbox but price comparison kind of reflects that.

Hey @SimonCar_165798 

Thank you for sharing your feedback! In regard to the network, please feel free to reach out to our webchat team to see if there are any outages.

I agree with your points about both Xbox and PS! I wouldn't mind having one of the PS controllers! Luckily, I ordered my controller from Aim which means I now have the back paddles and other great modifications on it to suit me! 

Both consoles have unique qualities! Thank you for sharing 😊

Shely
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am STILL happily using an XBox 360, and buying games for as little as 50p these days 👍

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

The Xbox 360 games are unbeaten! I still download them to my Xbox Series S!

JasonEma_415418
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I only play multiplayer online games with the series X quick resume is a real pain,I just wish you.coupd disable it.

Jaybird
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Why choose a side when you can play on them all? I certainly prefer one over all others, but I love games enough that I play across the spectrum. Never understood people hating each other just because their platform is different.