Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Merger

JayHam_1234109
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi all,

So I'm on the fence with this to be honest as I'm exited seeing better 4g and 5g coverage as well as the speeds increasing.

However, if I have read the articles correctly then Vodafone now own 51% of the smarty company, they say no customer contracts will be affected,  but being realistic, Vodafone are if not the most expensive mobile network to go with so sorry to say but I'm expecting nany more £££££'s to be added to unlimited monthly tariffs 😱

7 REPLIES 7

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@JayHam_1234109  I would like to share your optimism about coverage and speeds.........but regrettably I don't.

At the end of the day, it's all about profit - pure and simple. If smarty appears to be profitable, then they may leave it alone for a while r else they may see if they can squeeze a little more blood - sorry - profit, out of it.

Prices will only stay the same or go down if there is competition. It seems to often be a question of 'first to blink' where prices are concerned - as an example, look at petrol prices.

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@JayHam_1234109,

At the moment, 3 and Vodaphone have agreed the merger, with Vodaphone controlling 51% of the new company.

It's not yet definite that the merger will go through though.  The CMA (competition and marketing authority) will probably have a look at the merger, and it may also be given parliamentary scrutiny, looking at the security matters of the merger. Understandably there may be concerns for such a large communications infrastructure being in non UK control.

That being said, it may mean price changes, but there will also be three similarly size telecommunications companies investing in infrastructure and competing for customers,if the merger goes ahead.

Yes I understand that have three telecoms combining is good but I will find a cheaper network if the tariff goes through the roof as for disabilities people who can't work they also can't afford huge increases with the cost of living here in the UK at present. So I will be one of the first to jump ship if this does happen.

@JayHam_1234109,

Prices may change, that could be price rises, or being reduced due to competition.

I appreciate that not everybody can pay whatever increases MAY happen, we are all going through similar experiences, but I know those on benefits and low incomes are being hit hard

Until the merger goes through, we can't be certain what will happen.

Well just have to wait and see what happens over the next year or so. I can't see plan prices changing significantly in that time, especially those who may be eligible for Smartys Social Tariff (worth investigating).

@JayHam_1234109  @Strandloper  Don't forget that, for those on certain benefits (and that would most probably cover the disable who cannot work), the Social Tariff is set at a very reasonable price. I can't see any network hiking that price considerably. https://smarty.co.uk/social-tariff

Thank you , but does the social tariff include in the unlimited package as I only pay £17 a month of which I'm extremely happy with considering what most other companies are asking. So really I need an unlimited data pack on the social tariff but I can't see smarty doing this lol 

@JayHam_1234109 

If you follow my link, you will see:

As a SMARTY Social Tariff customer you get unlimited data for just £12 a month. As standard, you’ll also have unlimited UK calls and texts, 5G at no extra cost and EU Roaming (up to 12GB) included, all on a flexible 1 month plan with no annual price rises.