cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USA roaming cannot make/receive calls

Philipp_1915835
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Have been in New York and now Fort Lauderdale and my phone cannot make calls. Data works fine.

As soon as I try and make a call, it immediately says 'call ended' with a short beep.

Am very confused because the data element works without any issue (as I followed the smarty setup instructions for android), but cannot fathom what would be causing the issue with calls.

Can anyone help/advise?

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Philipp_1915835 Have you checked on your account that you have sufficient credit to pay for calls?

Take a look at the price guide: https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf

Each Megabyte of data (Mega and NOT Giga) costs 10p - You say that data is working fine - could you have eaten all of your credit? You would then need 50p for each minute of Voice call back to the UK.

Yes. Topped up before attempting to make a call, then watched the balance drop as I used data. Have since topped up again - my 'out of plan' balance is much more than ยฃ0 so that's not the issue.

Philipp_1915835
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Ok, not a fix exactly, but noticed that the 'automatic network selection' in both New York and Fort Lauderdale for me (and my phone) is AT&T.

Just switched to T-Mobile manually and everything works.

@Philipp_1915835 Glad you managed to sort it. That is something that I forgot to mention in my first reply, but is not uncommon.

I freely admit that I do not understand why the phone connects to a network that has poor signal - perhaps not as sophisticated as I think they are?