cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make or receive calls since 3G Switch off

Lin-LinL_493349
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I only use my work phone for calls, text message and WhatsApp. I can still text but can no longer access my voicemail, make or receive calls when I am at home. I work from home, so it's an issue. It only works in my garden! I assume it's due to the 3G switch off. I checked my phone and it's compatible with 4G and has wi-fi calling. My phone is 7+ years so I am happy to purchase a new phone but don't want to spend a lot since I only use it for calls/text/WhatsApp. How do I tell if a phone is 4GVoLTE and SMARTY compatible? Has anyone purchased a phone recently in a 3G switch off area who can help please? I'm looking on Argos website. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Decembersangel
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Hi @Lin-LinL_493349 👋

If your device has WiFi Calling then it will be VoLTE compatible.
I had the exact same issue when 3G was turned off in the Midlands. With some research I discovered that it is a firmware issue that CAN be sorted out and you will then have a fully functional phone.
I have done a post with regards to this issue:-
https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/can-t-make-receive-calls-not-necessarily-a-network-pro...

It really is worth doing if you don't want to fork out the money for a new phone. Even if you can afford to replace your device it is worth trying this before hand as you have nothing to lose.
If you have any questions with regards to this then ask away as I am happy to help! x 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Decembersangel
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Hi @Lin-LinL_493349 👋

If your device has WiFi Calling then it will be VoLTE compatible.
I had the exact same issue when 3G was turned off in the Midlands. With some research I discovered that it is a firmware issue that CAN be sorted out and you will then have a fully functional phone.
I have done a post with regards to this issue:-
https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/can-t-make-receive-calls-not-necessarily-a-network-pro...

It really is worth doing if you don't want to fork out the money for a new phone. Even if you can afford to replace your device it is worth trying this before hand as you have nothing to lose.
If you have any questions with regards to this then ask away as I am happy to help! x 

Hi Decembersangel. Thanks for your post, and the link to your other post on flashing the firmware back to an unbranded version., which worked on your Samsung Galaxy J4+. 

Did you have any problems or issues after switching to the unbranded firmware? Did it affect any services that look at your device id etc. like bank apps?

Finally, as another user commented on your post - you advise people to do their own research on flashing their phone and being careful etc., but on't give any more info. Would be great if you could link us to the sources you found helpful when flashing your phone. 

Cheers! 

Decembersangel
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Hi @C-Smarty 
I very rarely use apps as they are renowned for being (coughs) poor 😁 and so I tend to go to the website in question, log in and then 'save to homescreen'. I found that this way the poor app support is not a problem. 
From the research I did with regards to unbranded software... all it meant (to me) was that when performed is WHERE the softwares updates came from and that is the actual manufacturer of the device rather than the network it was sold/controlled by and other than that nothing is different ...... e.g. you buy a car from a dealer that 'limited' its speed and yet if you purchased that same vehicle direct from the manufacturer, before it was sold to the dealer, its speed wouldn't be constrained.
The SG phone I was given was sold by and tied to Vodafone software updates and with both SMARTY and also iD Mobile I was unable to enable VoLTE/WiFi Calling no matter what I did even though it had the abilty for both. It wasn't until after installing the unbranded software on my phone I had all capabilities available with this device (including VoLTE/WiFi Calling). As far as I can tell, the only things that changes is WHERE the software updates come from.
I gave a more descriptive answer here for my SG J4+ phone....
https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/just-some-basic-questions-about-new-sim-card-volt...

I DO advise caution when using my advice as it worked for me but UNLESS you are secure in all the info you have (I may have missed something I forgot about) I won't be held responsible as I had to do all my own research until I was confident in my decision to go ahead.

THIS information is ONLY for a SG J4+ and individual research needs to done for ALL other makes/models of devices!

Good luck!