cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A53 5G not supported for wifi calling by Smarty

GrahamK_1838530
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Any clues why, as phone is sold as WiFi calling compatible and this appears to be a network issue rather than Samsung?

Changed provider to SMARTY from Giffgaff on this basis alone so not happy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Android handsets have always seemed to have patchy support for Wi-Fi Calling @GrahamK_1838530.

This was the reason I switched to using an iPhone in 2018 - all the UK networks support Wi-Fi Calling with iPhones, and I rely on Wi-Fi Calling at home since moving to a mobile not-spot.

You'd hope that SMARTY add support for the A53 5G in future, but it's not on their list of compatible devices at this point-in-time.

Check at https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4237414-which-devices-are-compatible-with-wifi-calling.

Good luck @GrahamK_1838530    

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Android handsets have always seemed to have patchy support for Wi-Fi Calling @GrahamK_1838530.

This was the reason I switched to using an iPhone in 2018 - all the UK networks support Wi-Fi Calling with iPhones, and I rely on Wi-Fi Calling at home since moving to a mobile not-spot.

You'd hope that SMARTY add support for the A53 5G in future, but it's not on their list of compatible devices at this point-in-time.

Check at https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/4237414-which-devices-are-compatible-with-wifi-calling.

Good luck @GrahamK_1838530    

This has caught me out as well.  I transferred my number onto my new Smarty sim today.  I am finding that I dont have brilliant reception with dropouts during a call. 
My Samsung A53 5g has worked perfectly with my BT mobile sim for the last year but not any more.  I cant go back to BT now as my sim has been deactivated.

Im really dissapointed.  Ill need to find a new network now.  Thats a record for me. Change over in hours.

UPDATE.

My Galaxy A53 5g is working with wifi calling but not as it use to with BT.

The wifi calling only kicks in when the signal quality drops substantially.  So it doesnt use wifi calling whenever possible.  I am assuming that is how the network is configured.  
Ill be keeping Smarty now as I am happy.