cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re Emigrating and UK numbers

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Have had confirmation from USCIS that my visa application to marry Linda and move to the USA has now been passed to the Department of State for visa processing. 

I do already have a US number on the MVNO “Tello”, who offer eSIM activation outside the USA and also free calls to 60 countries, including the UK, as standard. Yes, I recommend them 😉

Now, I will be using the “Tello” service for calls, texts and data when I move to the USA full time. 

I would like to keep my UK number active, to passively receive incoming calls only for a few months after I move across the pond. This would of course fall foul of Smarty’s “60 day roaming” policy, but, and this is probably a question for the likes of @Rebekah_150 and @YulianK , as I will only need my UK number to passively receive incoming calls after my move to Phoenix, is my service on Smarty still likely to be suspended after 60 days ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Natalie_2037612
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hello, 

As you mentioned our T&C's mention roaming for over 60 days. It states : 

8. Suspension of your Service
"We may suspend any or all of our services you use without notice if :
(j) If we have identified that you have used Our services outside of the UK for a continuous period of 60 days or longer in a rolling 12-month period."

Unfortunately, this is a system triggered decision and despite notifying us of this, we would be unable to stop a suspension from happening. - Natalie 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@JJP2RidesAgain  Looking at T&C's, specifically Responsible use – How you use SMARTY Services outside the UK 5.17, this suggests in d) iii) that the 60 day limit applies to the EU.

While in the USA (and indeed outside the EU) you are paying on an 'item of service' (PAYG) basis and so it is hard to see why a 60 day limit should apply as they are not giving you any uncharged benefit. That said, I would still expect the sim to be deactivated if there was no usage for a total of 220 days.

I rest my case, M'lud.

Thanks for the sensible reply 😉👍

Be interesting to see what happens. I would buy an add on, which I could convert to account balance, to cover the odd few MB of data I use, but WiFi and Tello data will be 99.97% of my data usage. 

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Any definitive answer from Smarty please, @JodieC @Rebekah_150 @YulianK ?

Natalie_2037612
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hello, 

As you mentioned our T&C's mention roaming for over 60 days. It states : 

8. Suspension of your Service
"We may suspend any or all of our services you use without notice if :
(j) If we have identified that you have used Our services outside of the UK for a continuous period of 60 days or longer in a rolling 12-month period."

Unfortunately, this is a system triggered decision and despite notifying us of this, we would be unable to stop a suspension from happening. - Natalie 

Thanks Natalie, obviously that’s disappointing, as the number will only be active for incoming calls from the UK.

Will have to look at what other networks do before my move.