Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group plans and data add-ons

Richard_2871516
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hello everybody,

Ive just signed up to Smarty Mobile on a SIM only plan. As I don't use a lot of mobile data I opted for a low data allowance plan which should be sufficient for my needs.

However, I will buy a data add-on as a safety buffer should I need it, on the understanding that this stays on my account until presumably I use it all. Ive done a lot of speed tests to confirm coverage in the areas we frequent so I've used more than the normal amount of data already.

My question is this. If I add my Wife as a member of our group (which gives us both 10% discount I believe) will she have access to that extra data or are the add-ons phone number specific? In otherwords would I need to add a separate data add-on for her or is the add-on I purchase accessible to both phone numbers within our group?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Richard_2871516  IMHO, the best way is for you to sign up "she who must be obeyed" firstly with her own independent account by using the bonus sim.

If you follow the instructions with it, you will also benefit from the introduction bonus.

The next step is to form a group and invite her to join it.

In this way, you always maintain two fully independent accounts if you need to disband the group for any reason. You also both get 10% discount (but not on special offer plans)

I would refer my learned colleague to this article: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3417277-what-is-a-group-plan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Richard_2871516  Hi there & a good question.

The extra data that you buy will be account specific i.e. you cannot pool it between members of a group. If you are concerned that she may run out of data, you will need to buy her an add on.

Just a couple of points:

A data add on stays 'live' until you use it all up. As an example, I had a few Gb and used some; my normal plan then kicked in and the reminder of the add on stayed put on my account. It has remained 'live' on the account for many months with no problem, ready should I need it.

It may prove a better, cheaper idea to buy the next biggest plan and then step down if you find it too much. As an example, the 8Gb plan is £7 but you can have a 16Gb plan for £8 - not too much wasted then. To buy the 8Gb extra, you have to get 10Gb and that costs £9 !! Maybe what is called "in common parlance"  a "no-brainer" !

Hi MSF and thanks for taking the time to explain. All is clear now, thanks.

If I could take the opportunity to pick your brains on the Group thing a little more...

I received a bonus/spare SIM along with mine upon sign up. If I want to use this for "her indoors" how do I sign her up and add her to the group? Do I activate her SIM first or perhaps I will be prompted from the login info (where I would put in my account login?). How do I proceed? Thanks in advance, Richard 

@Richard_2871516  IMHO, the best way is for you to sign up "she who must be obeyed" firstly with her own independent account by using the bonus sim.

If you follow the instructions with it, you will also benefit from the introduction bonus.

The next step is to form a group and invite her to join it.

In this way, you always maintain two fully independent accounts if you need to disband the group for any reason. You also both get 10% discount (but not on special offer plans)

I would refer my learned colleague to this article: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3417277-what-is-a-group-plan

Thanks again for taking the time….

@Richard_2871516 ....de nada!