cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No internet most of the time

HonourableTyr
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Ever since first activating my SIM I struggle with loading even basic text websites. Streaming music, one of my main uses, is impossible. I can often only buffer about 30s of a song before the internet bugs out or fails.

Over half the time I have no internet connection whatsoever. All I see in the signal indicator is 4G with high signal but with an exclamation mark indicating no internet.

I have tried multiple phones as well as inputting the APN settings manually. The automatic ones matched perfectly with those on the website but I thought I'd cover all bases. Nothing had worked to improve internet speed, availability, or reliability.

What is the point of having unlimited data if I can hardly use data at all?

I have tested the SIM in multiple devices running Android 9, 11, 12, and 13. I set them to 4G/LTE, and 3G/HSDPA modes to see if the different network type would help or hinder things, neither helped.

This issue is not limited to my home cell, it happens everywhere. I have done motorway journeys that would definitely use multiple masts and the internet cuts out. Likewise going out for a run (likely at least 3 cells from the topography) I cannot listen to music as there is never any interest, just a "!" next to my high signal strength.

I'm seriously considering just leaving Smarty because Hutchinson 3G's network infrastructure doesn't seem capable of providing the service I need. Other than the network issues, the only other thing that could be involved is the SIM. I'm unsure if that can cause these types of issues.

Anything anyone could suggest to fix things would be greatly appreciated.

Support have been unhelpful, just reading from a script telling me "you device isn't supported for data". It is a GSM phone on a GSM network using the supported GSM bands, of course it should work! That is like saying any particular (modern) iPhone isn't supported. Really disappointed.

13 REPLIES 13

HonourableTyr
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I'm now unable to make calls or send SMS. It just says "Sorry, you have not been given access to this service". What the actual?

@HonourableTyr  This all sounds most odd! You will need a web chat with Support as they can check what is happening on your account.

Have you also looked at the network status checker for your postcode?

I chatted with support again. Seems that the SMS and calls was the payment failing to be taken on the bank holiday. Re-ran my payment and that was restored quickly.

Internet is still being difficult so I may ask for another SIM as I've ruled out phones by testing in 4 devices.

HonourableTyr
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I've now appear to have been double charged too. I have two transactions on PayPal and two pending on my bank account.

This isn't getting better overall...

At least it means I don't have to pay next month as it is on my balance, but still annoying.

@HonourableTyr I would ask for the money to be refunded, unless it is showing as credit on your account. Credit showing can be checked to use against a future Smarty plan....but only if it is showing!

Why transactions on PayPal AND on bank? Or does PayPal go via your bank?

It is showing on my balance so it is fine. I won't ask for a refund as in the grand scheme of things it means next month is already paid up. I could see how that could be a problem for other people if it were their last bit of cash for the month though.

PayPal works with cards or bank accounts. Either way, the transaction shows up on the bank as PayPal.

Lastly, after the last person I spoke to on web chat, who was more help, I've not had any further problems with the internet either. It has only taken a month to settle but it finally seems to be working as it should. If it stays this way I'll be happy.

@HonourableTyr  Don't forget to specify on your account that your credit can be used for your next smarty plan purchase.

I'm assuming (perhaps a dangerous thing to do) that you mean that the second web chat person wasmore help than the first (and not that forum members were not much help).

For the record, they are actually Smarty employees whereas Forum members try to help out on a voluntary basis. Web chat people have access to your account whereas forum members don't. Overall then, I would expect them to be more help. Nevertheless, I hope you think that you got good help here. 

I didn't know I'd have to specify. I'll log in and do that, thanks.

Yeah, no issue with the forum. First week chat was less than useful and didn't give me much hope. Second web chat was a significant improvement.

@HonourableTyr Apologies - my error. If the money is in Account Balance, it will be used for any payment. If it is in Out of Plan Add Ons, it won't.

DominicH_702313
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

It seems that most mobile providers are honestly not up to par they pretend like there top of line but there really really poor in comparison to what they possibly could be *presumably*..

I find internet speeds are dire regardless but can be workable but.. that's about it.. it's sad.

I tend to get about 25Mbit now which is fine. Half my fixed line speed but I can get it anywhere. Upload is significantly slower normally hovering around the 1-2Mbit mark. That is on 4G, I'll investigate 5G speeds if I change handset.

I know 4G can go over 100Mbit and 5G well over that but most networks restrict speed to be able to serve more customers.

JasonBa_1078376
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am finding Smarty has a generally poor service with regard to data & connections.

@JasonBa_1078376 Have you checked the Network Status for your area?

Is the signal poor when you move around the area generally? If that is the case, it may be that your area simply is not well served by 3 Network and that is frustrating.