cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Main Thread] Premium rate / short code text messages

PeterWh_1550878
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi I gather from a few other posts that these are not possible at the moment!

I found this in some information blurb from SMARTY - 

At some point you'll be able to send other kinds of messages which will be chargeable. This will include premium-rate texts and short-codes, which are used for entering competitions, buying ringtones and voting on reality TV shows, and paying for parking."

As other people say they don't indicate when this will be available! I agree with the others that it should be no problem with a decent quality service! 

I too, like some other people may well be switching to another provider which doesn't have this problem! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

George
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey, @PeterWh_1550878 

We understand how this service is becoming more popular with our customers and have already been feeding back. This is something we are still looking into, hopefully, this is available for you soon.

View solution in original post

Here is an article from Smarty:  https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/952515-are-all-texts-free-with-smarty-plans

They don't give a date when it will become available unfortunately.

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146

Smarty needs to sort the lack of support for short codes, it's really not good enough in 2022. 

It’s already been said but want to double confirm. Add it via the dashboard, that’s what I do 🙂 

IPhone 13 Pro/iPad Mini 6/AirPods Pro/Apple Watch Ultra

paul
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just wanted to add that my GP surgery has started using "Florence" that works by replying by SMS to a free shortcode number. 

Can free numbers at least be allowed? 

https://help.florence.uk.net/is-shortcode-barring-the-reason-my-patient-cant-reply-to-flo/

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@paul Unfortunately, I don't see Smarty making an exception for free calls ahead of full roll-out. In fact, they might be more likely to get it working if calls were chargeable!

LeeByron_731217
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

This is an absolutely ridiculous feature missing from Smarty.

If banks do a fraud check on your card and temporarily block it to check transactions, you often get a simple reply Y or N if this was you. I’ve just been left in a situation, unable to pay using my only card because I can’t reply Y to a text. Will be leaving Smarty before my first month is up.

Gasgas2_1119700
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Great! BT use text messaging for internet or phone faults... which i found out about yesterday when i lost internet and had to report to BT....  i also realised how rubbish your 3/4g network is too, after a 3 mile drive, i eventually had internet.

Meerkat
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

It looks like the latest add on will allow calls and texts to premium rate numbers.

I think this add on originally only said call. I think text has been recently added.

Screenshot_20230924-184215-230.png

smeeghead
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

So can this be used to TEXT short code numbers i.e. Radio competition numbers where you have to REPLY to the short code with a text

AleksandrP
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

I've just got a text from NHS asking to rate my A&E experience by replying to a short code message (free). I couldn't reply initially, but after specifying my own number in SMS app, I was able to send a reply. But then, surprisingly, I just can't send another reply to provide details.

So looks like sometimes it can work, but not always?

BrianMcBriany
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Is this fixed yet?

I just want to be able to respond to texts from my doctors surgery and my bank. They’re not premium numbers, free to reply.

Please update ASAP

@BrianMcBriany  This is a long-standing issue. If you are wanting to text to a short-code number, Smarty does not support that currently - I don't know exactly why.

It is not an issue of whether they are premium numbers.

@MSF 

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the why, I’m just looking for an update.

This should be considered a high priority fault/outage as being able to respond to banks or doctors through SMS is increasingly common and essential.

Smarty’s out of plan add-ins are not a solution. Texting premium or short text numbers now requires urgent action from Smarty as this has become an indispensable feature which no network should rightly omit from its service.

The_Button_King
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I am adding to the chain hoping this basic feature will be added soon. I cannot authenticate some payments with my bank because of this shortcoming! Now I have to go out of my way to call the bank tomorrow morning and see if it can be resolved. Incredibly disappointed at this as Smarty has been great otherwise.

@The_Button_King  Much as I understand the general levels of frustration, I don't think that further postings are going to make much difference to when (& if) Smarty add this feature.

It will depend, I think, upon a simple equation:

Cost of installing the service - loos of income from customers leaving as a result

Swarming1095
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Unacceptable that this ‘feature’ has not yet been implemented.

@Swarming1095  The good thing about being a Smarty customer is that you are not 'trapped' in a long contract but can leave easily at the end of any plan.

For those who find that they cannot do without a certain feature, they are free to move to a network that offers it. As I have mentioned previously (in other posts), there are a large number of customers (me included) for whom these features do not represent a deal breaker.

Obviously, if I suddenly found myself needing to be able to send texts to short code numbers, I would have to think again.

JohannF
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Well this wasnt what I was hoping for on Smarty. I guess its truly a low-cost "no frills" service if they dont even offer short code texts. To think they could easily resolve this and probably not lose customers over it? Or maybe they are not bothered since they are part of a much larger 3 network? Who knows!    I was going to put 3 other family members on Smarty but definitely rethinking that one now. Might look at Voxi since they do allow short code messages I believe.... 

AmandaBa_558622
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

This is a very simple service that should be available as standard, more and more vital services require the use of these short code messages. Smarty maybe a cheap service to use but if it doesn't have everything you need.....you've wasted the amount you spent anyway.

It's like getting a bargain on something that's broken!

There is a clear ongoing demand for this service, a good business/provider knows when to 'up its game' and stay competitive with it's rivals, weather it be a change to cost or service. 

SaraWill_801332
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Just adding my frustration with this too! 3 support short codes (I was with them for a while) so even if you have to prepay for premium texts it shouldn't be so hard.

Rozblackburn1
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I totally agree should be able to use premium numbers it's ridiculous 

Anthony_2562383
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

i just switched from giffgaff who do this and i am now going to go back there what a joke is this company stuck in the past? bye bye smarty

Perky
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Can I ask if this has been rectified yet? 

Am I going to need to get a separate phone, and service provider to enter competitions?

In advance. I'd quite happily buy the credit I'm going to need for entering competitons and do it that way

Perky
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

nevermind.

just saw the post dated 17.03.24, cheers

Perky
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

'at some point' ... is  bit vague still.

what's the holdup? it's been going on for a longtime now. what's the reason for the delay?

Origin
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Well as a new user I've come here to figure out why I can't use short codes after topping up my account with out of deal top up thing to realise it was a compete waste of money. If they are going to allow them at least make it obvious so people don't waste money unnecessarily. Tbh I was about to move my other half and kids over to smarty, but with this basic feature missing I might have to head back to giff gaff unless the is a fix close.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@Origin  There are a huge number of posts on this very point.

for reasons best known to themselves (possibly financial?) Smarty are not supporting short codes.