cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only SIM usage

jamescutts
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Quick question on data only SIMs, from what I can see there doesn't seem to be any reason to purchase them over a standard sim that offers more data for a better or similar price point?

I'm after a second cheap sim for use as a backup and occasional remote work that I'll be adding directly into a 4G (CAT 4) enabled laptop, seeing as i currently have a SMARTY plan this seemed the first logical port of call.

Other than needing to add the apn settings are there any restrictions or obscure terms and conditions limiting the use of a standard sim for this purpose? Or do the Sims operate differently?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

It's not obvious, but data only SIM plans have the following statement online:

Unlike some networks, we won’t slow you down or hold you back. With no speed limits or hotspotting restrictions, you can browse, stream and play to your heart’s content, wherever you are. Plus, our Data Only SIM card can also be used for roaming in EU countries up to our 12GB limit.

This isn't shown online with their SIM only plans with a calls, texts, and data allowance.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

It's not obvious, but data only SIM plans have the following statement online:

Unlike some networks, we won’t slow you down or hold you back. With no speed limits or hotspotting restrictions, you can browse, stream and play to your heart’s content, wherever you are. Plus, our Data Only SIM card can also be used for roaming in EU countries up to our 12GB limit.

This isn't shown online with their SIM only plans with a calls, texts, and data allowance.

jamescutts
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Cheers @Chalkychap seems to confirm my initial thoughts there isn't much difference, nice to know that they have not speed restrictions, though except on the unlimited plan the data would get burnt through pretty quick.

Its only a CAT4 modem so 150mbs is its max and even then i will mostly be light use and as a backup so speed not a key factor.

PhilipN_2523480
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have made the mistake of getting the data only!! Is that the point? Now I am expected to pay twice or leave and lose £20!!

@PhilipN_2523480 I would suggest writing via webchat to Support Team to explain your error and ask if they can help you out here. Also be sure not to let the current plan auto-renew.

phil_75
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Same here! 

I bought an unlimited data only sim and then afterwards saw an unlimited data sim but with calls and texts for the same price!??

**bleep** is the point of the data only sim? 

I feel like I have been swindled. 

@phil_75 If you chose it from the plans that are clearly shown on the website, I don't see how you were 'swindled'

phil_75
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

It's not clearly shown at all. 

I was searching for a sim with unlimited data, it showed this for £20 and it doesn't make it clear whatsoever it has no calls or texts. 

I was confused so googled does the £20 unlimited data smarty sim have calls and texts and because there's a £20 unlimited data smarty sim that does have calls and texts you are led to believe it does or at the very least extremely confused.

Again, why would anyone choose an unlimited data only sim when they can have unlimited data, calls and texts for exactly the same price??? 

@phil_75  Are you looking here? : https://smarty.co.uk/all-plans

I don't know why anyone would choose data only either, but the info seems pretty clear for the plan with calls, texts and data.