cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g

MikeHorn_626277
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Come on smarty please update your list of 5g compatible phones I'm 100% certain my Nokia g50 works on 5g I've put a Three Giffgaff and O2 SIM in it and they handle 5g without any problems where available ,the phone is dual SIM and I have shared screenshots of both the Three and Smarty sim Three shows 5g Smarty 4g only, the customer service advisors are extremely helpful and friendly but can't resolve the issue is it smarty or three  holding this back, does anyone on this community have contact with anyone at smarty to see if there's anyway of getting this implemented,bit of a rant sorry.

• 5G
22 REPLIES 22

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

It's interesting that they updated the list a week ago and it is not included.

I see there is the caveat -If your device isn’t listed, you may not be able to use our 5G network, however, you’ll still have access to our 3G and 4G service. . Note the use of the word 'may'

does the manufacturer say it is 5G compatible and does it work on 5G - that's the acid test I guess.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

@MikeHorn_626277 said his Nokia worked on 5G using a Three, O2, and Giffgaff SIM.

Odd that his Nokia works on 5G with a Three SIM, but doesn't work with a SMARTY SIM.
I guess it's possible some devices don't work 100% because 5G is an immature technology, and the UK is on the 'bleeding' edge of 5G technology and deployment - having to get rid of Huawei equipment probably hasn't helped. 

Stranger still is that the 5g on my g50 was working perfectly at Christmas with a smarty sim and then just stopped my wife has the same phone and that stopped at the same time I'm sure it's something blocking the SIM I looked on the id mobile site also a Three user and people are complaining about exactly the same thing 

What version of Android is running of these two Nokia handsets @MikeHorn_626277?

Android updates have been known to break things like 5G network capability - was there an Android update around the time things stopped working? 

It's running the latest version of the software, I'm no tech expert but why would it only stop 5g with a smarty sim but allow other networks, I can't remember if it updated around that time 

Can you re-test with the Three, O2 and Giffgaff SIM cards.

If it's an Android issue, then 5G might not work with any of these SIMs. It could be more complicated though.

Hi 

I have screenshots of my phone with both a smarty and three SIM three shows 5g smarty 4g only I don't know how to or if we can post pictures on the community, to be honest if the 5g had never worked it wouldn't have bothered me but because it was working then suddenly stopped is really annoying could it be a setting in the SIM that smarty have disabled remotely or are three restricting access of the network to smarty.

SMARTY have a relatively small UK customer base, in the big scheme of things. The Nokia G50 was first sold with Android 11 - the first Android version to support 5G mobile networks.

Nokia claim the G50 is a 5G smartphone that's ready for tomorrow and better for your pocket. Their one caveat being that 5G coverage is limited and might not be supported by your network service provider.

This is a handy statement because Nokia can blame SMARTY, and SMARTY can blame Nokia, when things don't work. The carrier settings for SMARTY could've been messed-up by an Android update to a version higher than 11. Sadly, as @MSF mentioned, SMARTY's list of 5G compatible devices doesn't include the Nokia G50. 
https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/5871549-which-devices-are-compatible-with-5g

Any compatibility testing by SMARTY is likely to focus on the UK's most popular handsets, dominated by Apple and Samsung products - Nokia accounts for a tiny percentage of UK sales.

Thank you for replying to my post I have just put my SIM in my work phone a Samsung a53 5g and the 5g option has returned probably because this phone is on the compatible list, my phone runs android 13 so maybe something has upset the carrier settings, I'm guessing with the low volume of Nokia phones sold in the UK it will be quite a while before my handset makes it onto the list if ever, the 4g works well and the data allowances are generous, shame about the 5g,

Thank you for everybody's help regarding this matter 

ScottBe_1781828
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have the same problem but with a Nokia X20 which is a newer phone than an X10 so completely ridiculous. I got into it with them when I joined about 3 months ago and what I think they said was they just had to get around to testing it on the network first. SO GET AROUND TO IT FOLKS! I decided then to give it 6 months but then leave if they can't fix it. I need the 5g in the summer for Youtube uploads. Still quite annoyed at this. They have 3 months. 

Yep I'm another X20 user who has just moved from Three to Smarty. I'm quite disappointed as my phone used 5G perfectly on the three network, but now instead it's using, er, the 3 network, it is restricted to 4G. Given that the hardware was perfectly compatible when I was paying 3, I am not amused that it no longer works as expected. Sulk. Pout.

Hopefully if we keep banging on about it something might happen I realise that these things take time and probably processes have to be followed but smarty are stating super fast 5g at no extra cost only when you read the small print does it say compatible devices only,none of the other providers state this, people have purchased 5g enabled handsets or modems and moved to smarty expecting the same service as there previous supplier, unfortunately customers will leave stating there reasons and Smarty could be in trouble,

I'm just confused that those of us with proven working 5g devices who had no issues when on the 3 network, now have a substandard service with smarty. What testing do they have to do? What's different about their sims?

I'm not a tech expert but my guess is that they can remotely disable the SIM, What's really annoying as I've mentioned to them several times is the 5g was working perfectly with the smarty SIM at Christmas then just suddenly stopped, I changed provider to Giffgaff and the 5g worked if they offered WiFi calling I would have stayed there, just have to keep moaning about it to them and maybe they'll do something about it,

May not be too much longer until giffgaff have WiFi Calling @MikeHorn_626277.

I'm thinking this because Tesco Mobile (also an MVNO on O2's network) are in the process of adding WiFi Calling service for their customers.  

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi all, 

In regards to 5G on the SMARTY network, some devices are not compatible. Although the devices you own may be 5G, SMARTY may not support those devices on our network as of yet. We understand that this can cause some frustration but we are hoping to get all 5G devices registered with the SMARTY network ASAP. 

Please refer to this link to view a list of 5G compatible devices on the SMARTY network - Which devices are compatible with 5G? | SMARTY Help Centre 

I hope this helps!

This is interesting, looking at that guide my phone ain't compatible YET it works, prior to this done a Poco X5 pro 5g, I was on the model before it and that worked an x4 pro 5g..bizarre how Smarty do it, WHY DOESN'T ANY 5G FONE WORK ? #thatsjustweird

Good to know your Poco X5 pro 5G is working with the SMARTY 5G network @leedorney

The online SMARTY 5G guide does say: "If your device isn’t listed, you may not be able to use our 5G network, however, you’ll still have access to our 3G and 4G service."  

I think because 5G standards are still relatively 'young', with ambiguity in places, not all 5G equipment is interoperable in practise. Here in the UK, requiring the network operators to remove Huawei 5G infrastructure has possibly complicated things too.

Any compatibility testing by SMARTY would probably focus on the UK's most popular handsets, currently dominated by Apple and Samsung products. 

MarkyPancake
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just to add a different brand into the conversation, my Pixel 4a 5G gets 5G with Three UK, as that's where I moved from to SMARTY, but this device doesn't get 5G with SMARTY.

@MarkyPancake  While I can see that this is frustrating, to be fair the phone is not in Smarty's list of supported devices either.

MarkyPancake
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I had seen that, but seems odd not to have it enabled on this model when the device and parent network are capable of 5G when used together.

Gnalkarik
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Suprised to see there aren't many motorola phones in the list, but i can confirm the moto g84 5g works perfecty with smarty getting very good 5g speeds indoors here.