cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3G switch off

lukefow_2236187
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

i have a phone that uses 4G for data but not calls and texts, will data still work after the 3G switch off or are three going to block phones that dont support 4G calling

6 REPLIES 6

lukefow_2236187
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

i have found the answer now

4g.JPG

it seems like three are going to completely block older 4G phones from the network, this is stupid they should still be able to use 4G to get a data connection, i only use my phone for data anyway. if three is going to block my phone i expect them to provide me with a new phone free of charge. if that does not happen then unfortunately three will lose a customer because i will switch to a network that will still allow me to use my current phone

Curious to know whereabouts you found the information about being blocked from using 4G mobile data, with your current device, post 3G switch-off, @lukefow_2236187?

EE and Vodafone are also turning OFF their 3G networks soon. 
Only O2 seem to be prepared to continue running their 3G service for longer.
The UK Government has legislated that 3G mobile networks must be phased out by 2033.

4G ready devices that aren't 4G Calling compatible will still be able to send and receive text messages, and use 4G data on a temporary basis โ€“ but cannot make calls using our 4G network. Once our 3G network has been switched off, data and text messages won't work.

if three are going to block my 4G device from using data they will have to provide me with another device free of charge or i will switch to another network

Hey ๐Ÿ‘‹

If you have a 3G phone or an early version of a 4G device that is not capable of 4G calling then youโ€™ll need to upgrade to one which is compatible to stay connected. You will need a 4G VoLTE device no matter what network you go with. 

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) is a technology that allows your phone calls to be made over the same high-speed network used for internet data (4G LTE). It improves call quality, makes call setup faster, and allows you to use the internet while on a call. As mobile networks advance, having a VoLTE-compatible device ensures better voice call experiences and is becoming more important as older network technologies are being phased out.

As 3G networks are being phased out, it's more crucial to have a device that can do 4G calling (VoLTE). Telecommunication companies are shutting down 3G networks globally to bring in better technology. 

If your phone uses 4G for data but doesn't support 4G calling (VoLTE), you should still be able to use data services even after the 3G network is phased out. However, you may face limitations when it comes to making voice calls and sending texts if your device doesn't support 4G calling.

Comments below copies from another of my posts. Do you think what I'm suggesting may be correct.  It would be great if someone who knows more than me could comment either yes or no. 

Also I'm new to the SMARTY community.  If an expert can advise if my suggestions below are valid would it be a good idea to post my suggestion as a new chat to make it more visible ?

MY SUGGESTION

After received the "Your phone is not VOLTE compatible" email.  I also am convinced that my rather old Alcatel phone is rather surprisingly using VOLTE for calls and texts on SMARTY

I tried to resolve the accurate situation using  the chat/message facility, but although the advisors try to help I think that they have no more information than you can find on the SMARTY website.

I find it remarkable that there is no certain way to check if a phone is using VOLTE/4G Calling anywhere that I can find on the internet, which I find strange especially for providers that use the THREE Network.

However I have a few checks that I believe can be used for ANDROID phones

Make sure that the PREFERED NETWORK TYPE is set to 4G or oftenly 4G/3G/2G (Auto) before trying these tests.

TEST 1

In SETTINGS  go to SYSTEM, then ABOUT PHONE (or directly to ABOUT PHONE from Settings in an older phone)  Then select STATUS, SIM STATUS.  Look at MOBILE NETWORK TYPE and it should say 4G.

I did the test using my own landline so I didn't need to bother anyone else.

Leaving the settings window open, make a phone call and once it has been answered for 5-10 seconds check switch to the open SIM STATUS window showing and check if the MOBILE NETWORK TYPE is still showing 4G.   In my view, if 4G is being displayed then your call is VOLTE/4G Calling.  If 3G, HSPA or something else is being displayed then in my view the call is not VOLTE/4G.   (HSPA is a 3G Technology)

Note I have tried this on test on a very old 4G phone and it did change to HSPA.  The time to connect is also longer as the phone needs to disconnect from 4G and reconnect to 3G before dialing .

TEST 2

Probably not neccesary if Test 1 works.  To carry out this test you need to be able to force your phone to make a WiFI call in an area where you also have an acceptable mobile signal.

I forced my phone to make a Wifi call by selecting FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode which disconnects the mobile signal and usually the WiFi as well.  Reconnect the WiFi.  Then make a call.  (I have been advised that possibly not all handsets allow WiFi calls in Flight Mode.  It may also be possible to force the phone to use other setting such as in the WiFi calling option select WIFI CALLING PREFERED, but not all phones including mine have that option.

Once you have connected a WiFi call, then switch off FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode if you used it.  Wait until the signal strength indicator shows that you have a network connection, and possibly a few more seconds to be sure.  Then disconnect the Wifi on your mobile phone.  If the call remains connected, then I believe this demonstrates that the call has moved from a WiFi call to VOLTE/4G. 

This test possibly works because WiFi calling and VOLTE/4G are both use VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) or simply an internet type connection.  3G/2G calling are different and incompatible technologies and a call will disconnect if a change to a 2G/3G connection.  I have tried this on SMARTY with the handset PREFERED NETWORK TYPE selection set to 2G/3G and the call disconnects when the WiFi is switched off.

Note: I think it is likely that a phone that cannot make WiFi calls is not VOLTE/4G compatible as the technologies are very similar.

TEST 3

The easiest and simplest, but I'm really not certain if this works.  If your phone shows a little 4G beside the signal strength indicator when MOBILE DATA is enabled, then try making a call.  If after the call has been connected, the little 4G indicator disappears and either nothing or another symbol appears, the the phone is not VOLTE/4G compatible.  If the little 4G is diplayed during the call the your phone may be making a VOLTE/4G call.

AND FINALLY

Sorry if the is a bit long winded.  After contacting SMARTY through the chat/message service, I have now conntacted SMARTY using the complaints process.  I have discussed all of the above and asked SMARTY to confirm whether any of the tests are 100% reliable.  They seemed genuinely interested and have promised to respond within a few days.  I have also suggested/asked that they update their 3G switch off pages with these tests if they are valid.