cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3g switch off - phone should be ok- smarty thinks it isnt

mikeash_1845715
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have received an email from Smarty about the 3g switch off and telling me that my phone will need to be upgraded, which is odd as my phone has 4g switched on in the settings, as follows.

settings > network and internet >  Mobile Network (Smarty) > Advanced > Preferred Network Type > 4g is selected. 

The phone is a Moto G6 and it is listed on the three website as volte compatible for calls in UK

So, I'm a bit confused about all this. My phone should be OK but Smarty thinks it isnt, even though all the available evidence regarding checks ive made would suggest the phone will be ok.

Mike
4 REPLIES 4

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@mikeash_1845715, from what you've provided, it looks like your phone will be future compatible with the changes to 3g.

Without seeing the body of the email you received from Smarty, could it just be a case of Smarty checking that the settings on your phone have been updated/upgraded to remain compliant with 3g disappearing?  It certainly looks like you're all set

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@mikeash_1845715  This sounds more like a general advisory email to let you know that you will at least need a 4G enabled phone.

I don't think we have quite got to a total "Big Brother" situation yet! They cannot see everything - but just in case, sit up straight and brush your hair!!!!๐Ÿคฃ

BarryCh_2181514
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Your phone is fine for 4g๐Ÿ™‚

Decembersangel
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

Hi @mikeash_1845715 ๐Ÿ‘‹

Just be aware of the 4G 'Volte' capability issue with any phone on a SMARTY plan. Some of us recently got an email stating our mobiles were not supported as only Volte compatible devices will work with their 4G network (even though the ambiguity of the email leads you to assume that 4G (non Volte) phones will still work OK) ๐Ÿ˜ 

This is the post discussing it.....
https://community.smarty.co.uk/t5/chats-hacks/3g-switch-off-volte-supported-on-all-other-networks-bu...

The best way to check your device compatability is to use the advice of 'dawdie'.

Looks like many of us are either going to have to jump ship to other network providers that support 'non' Volte devices or end up having to purchase a Volte compatible device to stay with SMARTY.