cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

very poor speeds

PaulWil_2730451
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

with my ee sim in router i was getting 1.2 gbps download with my sim router...as my contract is coming to an end i thought i would try smarty unlimited sim...popped it in router and only getting max 2mbps! Absolutely awful ...any suggestions other than it maybe a known fault with the area etc as ive already checked all that too and all ok. 

4 REPLIES 4

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Have you thought to check the coverage offered by Three, Smartyโ€™s parent company, where you live ? It may simply be that you arenโ€™t close to a three mast. 

Also, have a look at section 5.15 of the Smarty terms and conditions, which focus on using Smarty as a permanent replacement for fixed line broadband, which they discourage.

Or maybe like the previous thread you are not quite close enough to a mast. I'm this case you can use either a Omni directional or directional antenna to pick up the signal from the mast this would help to boost the signal to something more usable. However like the last thread states you can't use a a permanent replacement for broadband. But is you are buzzing around in your camper van enjoy broadband on the move this seems more reasonable to me..  

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Sounds like EE has the better mobile network signal and infrastructure in the location you're using your mobile broadband router, @PaulWil_2730451

The online coverage checkers are just a prediction of signal strength at any given location, based on computer models - in reality it can be better or worse than the modelling predicts.

DTyllye_2689832
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi you could use an external antenna and find the perfect spot to gain a higher DB and better SNR so the router is gaining the maximum signal strength and thus potentially gaining a better signal and subsequent increase in speeds. However I've been informed that you could fall foul of smarty 5.15 information. Anyways most people have a backup router they use just in case the main home internet has an issue. Amazon are good for antenna, I currently use in my van when on the road a poynting up to 3dbi gain antenna with suction cups so you can stick on the glass or bodywork of either. It takes a bit of moving around the antenna to put it in the perfect spot but its worth it in my opinion in the end. Do let us know how you get on..