Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sim Card for Router

MarkJoh_2266326
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hi

I am new to Smarty and have just purchased a SIM to use in my router. Do I need to put it the router before I logon to Smarty to activate it.

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MarkJoh_2266326 The sim does not necessarily need to be in any device in order to activate it as far as I know.

However, for a router, once you have the sim inserted you will need to check that in the settings the APN is set to mob.asm.net for it to connect to Smarty. This will involve putting a specific url into your browser so that you can connect to the router and change any settings. This info should be in the manual.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

โ€ƒ

From the knowledgeable @Chalkychap 

IMG_0994.jpeg

Hi

I was told by Smarty on by a person (not a Bot) on Chat that I can use it in a router.

"Yes, you can use the SMARTY SIM card in any unlocked devices whether it be dongle, tablet or router as well."

I live in a rural area an there is no landline broadband connection available.

Yes, you can use the Smarty SIM in a router, but as @Chalkychap said to others, they donโ€™t support it.

Smarty is also known for offering good coverage in towns and cities, but not so much in rural areaโ€™s, so you could be on hiding to nothing. Have you checked that Smarty offers good coverage where you are ?

Hi

Yes I have checked and I should get very good data coverage .

Do I need to put the Sim card in the router before I start the activation ?

It doesnโ€™t really matter whichever way you go about it. The important thing is obviously to activate the SIM. Itโ€™s possibly better to activate the SIM in the first instance and then put in the router. 

Make sure the router isnโ€™t in โ€œthe line of sightโ€ or metal objects which could hamper the signal reaching the router and therefore reduce the level of service you would receive.

@MarkJoh_2266326 The sim does not necessarily need to be in any device in order to activate it as far as I know.

However, for a router, once you have the sim inserted you will need to check that in the settings the APN is set to mob.asm.net for it to connect to Smarty. This will involve putting a specific url into your browser so that you can connect to the router and change any settings. This info should be in the manual.

MarkJoh_2266326
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Thanks for all your help. I should be getting the SIM card on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'll let you know how I get on.

๐Ÿ‘

MarkJoh_2266326
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Sim Card activated and in router. The APN was set to auto so it connected to Smarty.

Download rate average with  EE I was  2.0Mbps. With Smarty I am  getting average 20Mbps. I did not need to realign the antenna to get this, so I assume EE and 3 use the same mast. 

Thank you all for you help and advice.

Glad it worked out for you ๐Ÿ‘