cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe Provider Change Regret

Nichola_2823073
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I've just signed up to SMARTY and I'm regretting it already. Admittedly, it was my fault that I locked the SIM, it's been so long since I swapped out a SIM that when trying to add a code I forgot the code is almost always 0000 to start with. Anyway, tried to contact them via web chat for a PUK code yesterday evening, and spent 90 min staring at an unresponsive window until their service closed at 20.00; emailed them also (hadn't realised there is no number to call for help).

Today they finally replied and told me that I can't have a PUK code for 24 hours! This is appalling customer service. If my old number ports before the PUK code turns up my phone is effectively bricked!

10 REPLIES 10

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Nichola_2823073  Holding back on that code may be a security measure as the real customer may have had the phone stolen and will be in the process of reporting it.

All the more reason they should have a customer service line. 90 minutes of no reply followed by service closure is unacceptable.

@Nichola_2823073 They keep the price down by not having customer service telephone lines.

Sorry to say, but if that is important then you need one of the 'full service' providers with their attendant prices.

By the way, your number will not port over a weekend.

Ironically, the lack of weekend porting actually works in my favour on this occasion. If it had ported my phone would be effectively bricked. The factor that swung my change of provider was the EU roaming issue, which hopefully works. I've been severely stung previously by Three on that front. At least SMARTY don't tie you in for a year or more...

@Nichola_2823073 In my experience on many occasions, EU Roaming has been absolutely fine with Smarty. 

As you rightly say, if it doesn't work out for you, at least you're not stuck in any lengthy contract.

In fairness, I think that many of us don't need  anything other than good value and a simple setup with no frills. Once you find that you have a good signal where you are, it becomes a good choice.

Nichola_2823073
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Still no PUK code...

@Nichola_2823073  It's 24hr 3min between your posts. I'd would suggest that if nothing after a bit loner, worth raising a complaint if you were told you would receive a code.

(Nothing in your Spam folder or on your account when you log in?)

I've already raised two complaints (they've replied to my first) and will be adding a third later today if they don't provide a code. It's now well beyond a joke. If my old number ports on time (tomorrow) then my phone is bricked without a PUK code. Unacceptable.

Nichola_2823073
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Finally, only 30 hours after being promised a PUK code and nearly 48 hours after trying to request one, I have been sent a functional one - despite being told in the meanwhile that I couldn't have one until my old number had ported over tomorrow. I guess if you pay peanuts...

Here's hoping that having painfully extracted a PUK code, I don't find myself asking for a PAC code in the near future!

@Nichola_2823073  Let's hope not! 🤞