cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

renew now

H_2179833
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I was with Giffgaff before, and when I ran out of data I had a nice simple "renew now" that I could use to get back online.

With smarty, the suggestion is to turn off auto renew and wait until the day you want your renewal. I did try this, I turned off auto renew, waited, then turned it back on. It seems this can delay your renewal date but it cannot bring it back, eg This does not work for "take my money right now", I am forced to pay for an add-on until the reset date.

Has anyone found a way to "renew right now" or is it PAC time again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@H_2179833  I do see the problem. I imagine that they (the bean counters) have weighed up the demand for various features against the likely cost of implementation (less the cost of lost business) and decided against.

As the cost of data seems to be falling - plans have ever more data for the same price it seems - people are buying slightly bigger than they require.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@H_2179833 Can't immediately see a way to renew earlier than after the current plan expires.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Isn't it true that mobile data purchased with a SMARTY add-on doesn't expire, @H_2179833?

The billing systems for giffgaff and SMARTY are very different, so while one might suit you, the other maybe not. For me, one downside of giffgaff is their lack of a WiFi Calling service.

Maybe if you change your plan, you'd be able to renew right now, @H_2179833

@Chalkychap  @H_2179833  Cannot see a way to renew before the expiry date of existing plan. It is certainly true that a data add-on does not have any expiry date.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Yes indeed @MSF, it doesn't seem possible to renew before a plan's end-date.

Given SMARTY plans have unlimited calls and texts for the UK, a data-only add-on seems to be a possible solution for the issue encountered by @H_2179833.

There's a choice of data-only bundles, some which don't expire, otherwise there's a number of data-pass options, which will expire after their validity period ends. 

Tascha
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi @H_2179833 as our plans are monthly rolling contracts you can't renew them earlier than your existing renewal date unfortunately. 

However, we do have a variety of add ons and data passes that can be purchased via your dashboard if you run out of data and need more mid-month. You do also have the option of switching plans if you need more data going forward--that change will take effect upon your next renewal.

I’ve just topped up £5 at a pay point but when I try to buy a data add on the only option to pay is by credit card or PayPal? How do I use my credit in the account? So frustrating!

@KieranM_2550482  See this article: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/3793308-topping-up-your-account-balance-in-store-via-paypoint

If there are still problems then start a web chat with Support Team. They can check your account but as forum members like you, we cannot.

H_2179833
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thanks for the replies everyone - GiffGaff will let you do a "oops I ran out, just start the next one early" which means no need to fork out extra money in the month if one of the kids goes overboard. Smarty's systems arent as smart as the others by the look of it - is there a feature wishlist?

@H_2179833  I do see the problem. I imagine that they (the bean counters) have weighed up the demand for various features against the likely cost of implementation (less the cost of lost business) and decided against.

As the cost of data seems to be falling - plans have ever more data for the same price it seems - people are buying slightly bigger than they require.

H_2179833
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

This looks like the only way to fix it right now - just pay a bit extra monthly and dont fall off the end 🙂 Thanks again,

If it's only the plan data allowance that's exhausted, why not simply buy a data add-on, to keep you going until the renewal date, @H_2179833?

Data add-ons don't expire, so if the add-on data isn't used up before by the renewal date, it stays on the account - available to use if the plan data allowance runs out before renewal some other time.

because its an additional expense for the month - instead of paying say 10 a month, now its 10 + 5, instead of just 10 again but a few days earlier - for each kid. Hopefully he'll be able to use the extra data next time he does this as well

Okay @H_2179833, if plan data allowance runs out early every month, perhaps it time to change to a plan with a bigger monthly data allowance?

Although a £5 data add-on, gets 5GB data, might last for several months, depending how soon the plan allowance runs out each month.

I guess the giffgaff way means it doesn't feel like you're paying more each month, whenever you renew early. 

I’ve got credit on my account but when I try to buy an add on, it only gives options to pay by credit card or PayPal? I want to use the credit I put on at a pay point?