cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiving spoof calls

KatieBo_1727469
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I've recently been getting many calls from landline numbers across the UK that I have no association with. When googling, these are legitimate small businesses like butchers, bakeries, and restaurants, and their number is the same online as the one that has called me. I believe this is spoofing, with scammers appearing as regular businesses in order to try and gain personal information over the phone. Is there any way I can stop this? It's been a different company each time, and it's happening almost daily. Should I report the numbers as spam?

2 REPLIES 2

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@KatieBo_1727469,

Personally I would report the calls as spam.  In my experience legitimate businesses don't call one (or more) numbers repeatedly, they only contact genuine customers who have asked for the calls.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@KatieBo_1727469  This is something that seems to be going on all the time unfortunately.

Although you can block a number, I think that they change the apparent number that the call comes from regularly. We managed to stop that on our landline by having a "call minder" service, but I am not aware of similar from mobile companies.

One alternative is to let such calls go to voicemail. If it is important, you can return the call. I do agree that it is very annoying and seems to affect some people more than others. As an example, my wife has had numerous calls apparently from O2 with great offers - she is with Smarty and does not engage with them. On the other hand, I have rarely had such calls - am I tempting fate???