cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 8a WiFi calling compatibility

darksquid
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Can anyone please confirm if WiFi calling on the Pixel 8a is supported? 

I've been happily using it on my 6a, and am looking to upgrade to the 8a. The handset compatibility page lists 6a, 7a, 8, and 8 pro as supported, but not the 8a. I'm just assuming this hasn't been updated since the 8a came out more recently than the rest of the range, but I'd love confirmation before getting the new phone.

Smarty customer service just referred me to the compatibility list, so sadly not much help.

Any insight appreciated, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

dizzy424
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I've just moved to Smarty and just bought a Pixel 8a. As you say, it's not listed on their compatibility list, but they do say that doesn't necessarily mean a handset won't work.

While trying to figure out how to activate the function, I saw various videos showing people activating it on this model, and the existence of the Smarty/3 compatability list confirms that the network in general does offer WiFi calling.

But I can't seem to get it to work on my phone! Will see if there's a way to raise a ticket with Customer service to try and find out if it's user error!

@dizzy424 Not sure if this is helpful, but here goes......

Once you turn on wifi calling within your settings, as I understand it, the phone will change to that mode if no suitable mobile signal is available. I don't believe that you can use wifi calling as a choice unless signal is poor. (Happy to be corrected if others know different)

dizzy424
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thank you - I had understood that once I had enabled it I would see something to that effect at the top of the display, but perhaps I misunderstood and that only appears if I'm actually actively using it.

There did also seem to be a step after flicking the switch that was present in the videos and doesn't happen for me, but I'll check what happens when there's no mobile signal at all as well

@dizzy424  I have mine turned on is settings on an iPhone. I only see 'wifi calling' when the Smarty signal drops out for some reason (not all that common here at present fortunately)

dizzy424
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thanks, that's really useful to know - I'll definitely do some testing around that then!