cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G switch off my phone is compatible yet Smarty says it isn't

Trotter
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I have a Sony Xperia 1 II. I like to understand why my phone is on the list when my phone fully supports Volte. Sony clearly states that the phone will work with a network once 3G is turned off. I have also turned off WiFi calling and called my mum and got a HD call using the Google phone dialer. That means the phone was calling over 4G.

So why are smarty making people switch network? Even going by what they asked people to do to check compatibility my phone is supported.

So is smarty a special case? Why would they have a different setup to the network they piggyback on? Apparently my phone will work on Three making things even more confusing 😭

https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/6142278-switching-off-3g

Smarty says: Due to a technical issue, unfortunately, the below devices will not work on the SMARTY network. 

I think they should explain what the technical issue is. It's highly frustrating knowing you got a phone that will work with 3G turned off but are told it won't work. If I have to leave I'll never return unless they can explain what makes smarty difference vs Three compatibility wise. 

8 REPLIES 8

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Trotter  Why don't you ask them that question directly via a complaint? Perhaps they are not prepared to guarantee that particular phone will work.

The problem is that, if you 'have to leave' Smarty will not notice the difference unless it involves a large number of people. Given that most modern phones will not be a problem, I guess they are not prepared to spend a lot of time or money on backward compatibility to keep costs down.

Michell_1987816
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have a different device (Google Pixel 3a XL) but the same problem as you in that Smarty say this is not compatible but Three accept it on their network.  Interestingly whilst I have been trying to get my head around this and look at other providers I have found that the providers that piggyback say phone wont work on their system but if you go to their parent network it will.  No idea if that is the case for all the providers and whether we will have to choose one of the 4 main providers?

@Michell_1987816  If you are looking for a cast-iron guarantee, then it does look like you will need to stick to those providers who actually state it.

The alternative is to stay put and, if you find that it will not work, you can leave very quickly for a network where it does work and will have lost very little financially.

I do need it to be guaranteed as my phone is vital for my hearing aids app which allows me to connect to the tv and various other devices unfortunately.  Was actually planning on a new phone next year when I upgrade my hearing aids and was hanging on so I get the right device compatible with new aids.  This is bad timing for me LOL

@Michell_1987816  The apps required for most modern hearing aids should be fine on any of the more modern phones with operating software kept up to date, Android or Apple, so you should be fine to replace your phone when it suits without worrying.

Michell_1987816
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

I have just clicked, would we still be able to use our phones on wifi?  If this was the case it would mean I had a bit of breathing space for my parents (all 3 of us have the same phone and Dad uses his for the hearing aids app) as they rarely use data outside the house whereas I do literally all the time.

Clarissa
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I also received an email on 31Jul24 saying my device may not work. I initially ignored it because I had already taken action following receipt of the previous email received on 10Jun24. My phone is set to use 4G where possible and preferred network is 4G/3G/2G. I also dialled *#*#4636#*#* to double-check, and found my phone was indeed VOLTE enabled. All good, so I thought. So, imagine how amazed, confused and angry I was when I did actually read the latest email and click the link to discover that my phone was listed as one that WON'T work after the switch off. So what to do next. New phone? or new MNO? Definitely feel the need to make a formal complaint. Having checked the Ofcom guidelines, they expect providers to let us know at least 3 months before the switch off if we will be affected, so we have time to make up our minds what we want to do, get a new phone or jump ship. The email on 31Jul24 was the first communication that I had which specifically identified my phone as one that will not work, and with the switch off happening in the first 2 weeks of September, I have not had the required 3 months notice.

I researched the issue further. It's the same with the other networks. Unless you have a premium-brand/ high- end ultra modern phone, or a phone purchased directly from them, it seems you may be affected. This has nothing to do with the phone being 4G VOLTE enabled or not, and everything to do with the network operator.

The technical reason they are referring to is the firmware that they control. Apparently it is a big job to support all the phones out there, so I guess the no-frills providers don't want to spend the money. They expect us to take action instead.

It would be helpful if SMARTY would publish a list of phones that WILL definitely work after the switch off. I'm concerned that jumping ship just lands me in the same place with the new network provider. I really don't want or need this hassle, especially with so little notice. And I don't want to buy a phone that is locked into a specific provider for 12/24/36 months. Definitely need a list of makes and models to choose from. Just saying it should be OK if it is 4G VOLTE/5G compatible and not on the list of tested devices is not enough. Murphy's Law says I'll find another phone not on the list of incompatible phones only to discover it still doesn't work, and was only excluded from the list because SMARTY haven't tested it yet.

RoCandwr
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Like you I have received the "Your phone is not VOLTE compatible" email.  I also am convinced that my rather old Alcatel phone is rather surprisingly using VOLTE for calls and texts on SMARTY

I tried to resolve the accurate situation using  the chat/message facility, but although the advisors try to help I think that they have no more information than you can find on the SMARTY website.

I find it remarkable that there is no certain way to check if a phone is using VOLTE/4G Calling anywhere that I can find on the internet, which I find strange especially for providers that use the THREE Network.

However I have a few checks that I believe can be used for ANDROID phones

Make sure that the PREFERED NETWORK TYPE is set to 4G or oftenly 4G/3G/2G (Auto) before trying these tests.

TEST 1

In SETTINGS  go to SYSTEM, then ABOUT PHONE (or directly to ABOUT PHONE from Settings in an older phone)  Then select STATUS, SIM STATUS.  Look at MOBILE NETWORK TYPE and it should say 4G.

I did the test using my own landline so I didn't need to bother anyone else.

Leaving the settings window open, make a phone call and once it has been answered for 5-10 seconds check switch to the open SIM STATUS window showing and check if the MOBILE NETWORK TYPE is still showing 4G.   In my view, if 4G is being displayed then your call is VOLTE/4G Calling.  If 3G, HSPA or something else is being displayed then in my view the call is not VOLTE/4G.   (HSPA is a 3G Technology)

Note I have tried this on test on a very old 4G phone and it did change to HSPA.  The time to connect is also longer as the phone needs to disconnect from 4G and reconnect to 3G before dialing .

TEST 2

Probably not neccesary if Test 1 works.  To carry out this test you need to be able to force your phone to make a WiFI call in an area where you also have an acceptable mobile signal.

I forced my phone to make a Wifi call by selecting FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode which disconnects the mobile signal and usually the WiFi as well.  Reconnect the WiFi.  Then make a call.  (I have been advised that possibly not all handsets allow WiFi calls in Flight Mode.  It may also be possible to force the phone to use other setting such as in the WiFi calling option select WIFI CALLING PREFERED, but not all phones including mine have that option.

Once you have connected a WiFi call, then switch off FLIGHT or AEROPLANE mode if you used it.  Wait until the signal strength indicator shows that you have a network connection, and possibly a few more seconds to be sure.  Then disconnect the Wifi on your mobile phone.  If the call remains connected, then I believe this demonstrates that the call has moved from a WiFi call to VOLTE/4G. 

This test possibly works because WiFi calling and VOLTE/4G are both use VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) or simply an internet type connection.  3G/2G calling are different and incompatible technologies and a call will disconnect if a change to a 2G/3G connection.  I have tried this on SMARTY with the handset PREFERED NETWORK TYPE selection set to 2G/3G and the call disconnects when the WiFi is switched off.

Note: I think it is likely that a phone that cannot make WiFi calls is not VOLTE/4G compatible as the technologies are very similar.

TEST 3

The easiest and simplest, but I'm really not certain if this works.  If your phone shows a little 4G beside the signal strength indicator when MOBILE DATA is enabled, then try making a call.  If after the call has been connected, the little 4G indicator disappears and either nothing or another symbol appears, the the phone is not VOLTE/4G compatible.  If the little 4G is diplayed during the call the your phone may be making a VOLTE/4G call.

AND FINALLY

Sorry if the is a bit long winded.  After contacting SMARTY through the chat/message service, I have now conntacted SMARTY using the complaints process.  I have discussed all of the above and asked SMARTY to confirm whether any of the tests are 100% reliable.  They seemed genuinely interested and have promised to respond within a few days.  I have also suggested/asked that they update their 3G switch off pages with these tests if they are valid.