cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no home wi fi after activation

RobertL_2166812
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi, I have just completed registration of my new sim with Smarty, after changing friom GiffGaff. Smarty has confirmed that my activation is complete,  however my phone is not connecting to my home network,although it was working fine before activation of the new Smarty sim, any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

Strandloper
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Assuming you have an active data plan, it might be worth turning off wifi, and reboot it. If you've ported from Giffgaff, it might take  up to 2 days to fully port.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@RobertL_2166812  I think that you should “forget network” in the phone settings and then let the phone rediscover your home broadband network. Not sure that it’s necessarily linked to new Smarty sim.

Sukhi1980
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I've had a similar issue. I purchased a portable wifi device and bought a plan in smarty. Activated sim and it worked on the first day, after that it has been 2 days and doesn't work any more. I tried to connect my wife and daughters phones but same issue. I tried to contact smarty but get a bot that just doesn't understand anything.

So, at the end of the plan, I'll just deactivate and go elsewhere. No need forcefully trying a service that's not fit for purpose.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

That’s a little harsh. 

Quite often, people are putting in Smarty SIM cards to routers and other kit that they have no idea how to operate,, change APNs etc and even have no idea how to consult a user manual, much less even have the presence of mind to check that the piece of kit they bought will actually work in their use case and work with Smarty. 

Smarty is a consumer focused 
mobile phone company , yet because of its value for money pricing, people seem to just blindly purchase a Smarty SIM card expecting it to replace fixed line broadband at home,  use it as a business line (When Terms & Conditions state that Smarty is consumer focused) use it whilst touring in mobile homes and campervans throughout Europe. mostly without checking Smarty’s coverage here at home, and without factoring in that outside the UK, coverage is dependant on roaming agreements and the coverage offered by foreign networks. 

There are some people on this forum who whinge about Smarty not fitting their usage case requirements, when the fact is, their ‘lemonade money champagne lifestyle” means they are purchasing a service, in some cases blindly, without completing proper due diligence re network coverage etc. and then whinge that the service they purchased doesn’t do what they want, when quite often, they are not even using a Smarty SIM card in a mobile phone….

I might go and complain to Ford that my Fiesta isn’t running as fast as a Ferrari…No, not really, as I don’t have unrealistic expectations of the car I have…

I actually did my diligence on Smarty and that's how I came across it. They said the networks are licensed via Three network. It just so happened, after day 1 of working, the days following when I check for network coverage in my area, I get a notification popping up saying there's engineers working on towers near by. This has been ongoing for a week. Smarty might be fit for purpose when it works, but aside from day 1 where I tested my device works and switched it off, it hasn't been working since. As a consumer, I can only go by my experience. I've gone into APN and changed the network name etc... 

Your analogy also seems in line with you have to be a mechanic to drive a car, you don't, consumers buy sim cards for communication or data, they don't have to understand the ins and outs of how it's made and operates, they go by what's being advertised, the majority any way.

In either case, I hope it does work, I'll try it over the weekend in different locations, but you're right, I might be looking for a Ferrari but have ended up with a Fiesta.