cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Smarty Sim, an old mobile

Salliec22
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

Possibly a real easy answer to thus and I'm just being stupid.

Been a Smarty user before but starting again as I need a sim in my old phone to use for work purposes.

Activated all good, it's attached to my personal email so picking up all my personal emails and FB messages even though I've deleted FB.

When I removed personal contacts, they also disappeared from my personal mobile.

Do I need to get this smarty sim linked to my work email to stop this or what can I do.

8 REPLIES 8

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Salliec22  Firstly, I'm sure it's not you being stupid.

May depend upon what the phone is. If it's an iPhone and linked to your Apple ID, then contacts are stored in your iCloud storage possibly. 

When you delete from your contacts, that removes them from your phone also.

I am not sure about Google, but I would expect a similar situation.

I doubt that contacts are stored on your sim - that was the case back in the Dark Ages as I recall.

You can bring email into your phone, but that is usually via an email account rather than the sim i.e. over data or wifi.

Salliec22
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

Thanks, this phone is an old Samsung S10e. I will chat to work about adding my work email to this account

Talk to your IT department at work - When you add your  work email account to yoir  phone, your contacts, calendar should follow. The only thing I wonder about, is whether your S10e is too old to adhere to the IT security policies of today, but that is something to confirm with your work IT department. 

@Salliec22 As an example, if work are using Microsoft 365, you would download the Outlook App. and then sign in. This would sync your Contacts, Diary etc and pick up email the same as when you log into a computer (more or less).

Other systems would vary a bit, but the point is that they will not really depend upon the sim.

One point to bear in mind though - Smarty is not designed for business use and that is made clear in the T&C's. (Basically, you cannot complain if you don't get 5 star service!๐Ÿคฃ)

Salliec22
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

Thanks I understand, we use Google everything and I just happen to have a Gmail personal account too. Smarty was my choice as I don't want work calls on my phone.  

@Salliec22  You should be able to have more than one account on the Gmail App at one time.

I used to have more than one account on Outlook - a personal and a business account. It worked well. This does not really give others access to your personal phone.

It may be that you could do with just one phone - unless you also have to take calls and then need a separate mobile number.

Salliec22
SMARTY Observer
SMARTY Observer

Thank you, I will have calls coming in so want to keep separate. Will add my work email and go from there.

Thanks for your patience with a slight techno phobe

@Salliec22  No problem at all! Actually, it's nice to have someone ask a genuine question that they could perhaps not easily find the answer to and not get snarky when the answer isn't exactly what they wanted to hear.

Techno phobe is not a problem, but techno snotty certainly is!