cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long have I got before I have to activate a new SIM

ColinFa_2466713
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

My internet went down just before Christmas, so in panic I purchased  an unlimited SIM from Smarty to put into my 4G router - but it didn't arrive until well after Christmas and fortunately my B.Band was restored quite quickly.

So now I have a paid for un-activated SIM sitting here - how long can I leave it un-activated before I lose the £15  I paid up-front for it?

I'd really like to just hold it in reserve for future emergency use....

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Not sure delaying activation is useful @ColinFa_2466713.

What bundle did you purchase with the SIM card? Did your SIM purchase include monthly allowances, or was it an add-on data pack?

Anyway, after SIM activation, if you don't use your SMARTY SIM card, it would normally be disconnected after 6-months. The current terms & conditions cover this as follows:

If within a 6 month period you have not (i) activated an Add-on on your account or (ii) undertaken any
chargeable events or activities (for example, made telephone calls, sent text or photo messages, accessed content or the internet or any other of Our services for which a charge is made), using any credit or allowance on your account, we may also suspend Our services or disconnect you.

If the SIM is just a backup for landline broadband, then maybe get a 2GB data-only plan for the SIM, which is your £5/month insurance for any loss of broadband. If your broadband fails, get a data-on pack for your plan as required, while the landline broadband is repaired.

Thanks for the reply.

The plan is 'Unlimited Voice, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data' which before Christmas was discounted from £20 to £15 for 12 months.

A 2GB plan s not sufficient - I used 2GB of my phone 4GB plan in just over a day - hence the new purchase.

I have yet to activate the SIM, so hopefully Smarty will notify me if they intend to block the SIM and give me a chance to activate and use the SIM?