cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Externally Accessible Public IP address.

the_owl_0v0
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have services running on my home network that I would like to be able to access from outside my home (local smart home, SSH access, NAS, OpenVPN Server Etc).  I run the necessary equipment (I work in IT) but the Smarty service IP does not route back to my connection ether via a DDNS service or by directly entering it.  Sometimes it's even an IP on the reserved "local" range of 10.x.x.x

While I appreciate many mobile customers would not require this, there are many who are unable to get a "traditional" wired internet service and use this as their primary home/business internet service who would.

I would be happy to pay an extra pound or two for a routable dynamic IPv4, and a little more for a static one I could use in bridge mode.

If this was available I could recommend this for a number of personal/business applications to my friends, family and customers.

Am I alone on this? Can anyone think of other use cases that would make it a viable service for Smarty to provide?

8 REPLIES 8

PeterC
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

No - I found the same when I switched to Smarty. Had me confused for a while why I couldn't connect to my VPN. It's called Carrier grade NAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

PeterC
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

No you'er not alone. I found the same when I switched to Smarty. Had me confused for a while why I couldn't connect to my VPN. It's called Carrier grade NAT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT 

Bangalooey
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Only option is to leave and find a civilised network that doesn't constantly change IP addresses, unfortunately. Which is exactly what I'm about to do. Shame, excellent service otherwise.

ids
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Have a look at Tailscale.  Free for single users.

Modern VPN built on top of WireGuard, that 'just works'

Tailscale is good, I've run my own server using headscale for performing the relay.

However, VPN is not always a solution; I need my services to be available to external users without that setup. I assume, is there no way in the APN settings to connect and get an IPv6 address or something like that? I'd be quite glad to ditch my DSL and go 5G with Smarty, but I think this may be a deal-breaker.

@stellarpower  Just perhaps worth mentioning that if you are using Smarty service for commercial use, that is against T&C's

I'm a personal user, but I need to be able to host my own services as well as work from home, as do many.

@stellarpower  It was simply a 'heads up'. We often see people who are trying to use the service for commercial business purposes and then complaining about some aspect.

Home working is not a problem, as far as I am aware.