cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed, but only for short periods

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Anyone else having issues with getting consistent speeds?
I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire WF2 (about 0.9mile away from a mast).  I am lucky in that I can get 5G inside my home.  It is usually around 100-200Mbps, so pretty decent.    

Tonight, I’m getting around 10 seconds of speed, and then it’s  5-10Mbps and it has been a similar picture  for the last few weeks.

If I turn on airplane mode on and off again, it’s fast for 10 seconds, then slow again.  

I’ve had an equally similar experience out and about at various locations outside of my home, speed but only for very brief periods.
The Network status shows no issues.
I’ve  spoken to SMARTY and done the usual SIM removed, turn it off an on again…but still the same.  It has only started doing this in the last few weeks…?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Just an update on this.  My data speeds have now generally normalised, however I do think something is a foot because my service has been a bit all over the place!!

I work from home and my phone is generally in the same place in my home.  The signal has been very variable 1-3bars.  Sunday was 4G service only from lunchtime to around 1800?!…nothing on the network status checker.  Tonight 1-2 bars of 4G…all bit random with no information?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Michael_T  Not sure if this is necessarily relevant, but do you have a VPN turned on? I have often found that slows access to sites.

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

I don’t have a VPN, well not on my personal phone.
I have been chatting to SMARTY support this morning. was asked carried out the usuals, which I’d already done

1. SIM card take out, wait 5mins and off and on

2. Change to 3G, then back to 4G/5G…alas don’t have that option!

3. Toggle airplane mode on and off.

Lastly, I was asked to reset the network settings…which appears to have improved things for the moment.  Time will tell, will see how things are over the next few days

Michael_T
SMARTY Teamster
SMARTY Teamster

Just an update on this.  My data speeds have now generally normalised, however I do think something is a foot because my service has been a bit all over the place!!

I work from home and my phone is generally in the same place in my home.  The signal has been very variable 1-3bars.  Sunday was 4G service only from lunchtime to around 1800?!…nothing on the network status checker.  Tonight 1-2 bars of 4G…all bit random with no information?