Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Apple Pay auto-renew?

AlecEdworthy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Hello,

I signed up to SMARTY today (longtime looker, first time jumper) and used Apple Pay to purchase my plan (30GB for £10 with extra 30GB for 12 months).  When I look at my account online or in the app it says that I don't have a payment method set up, but looking on the SMARTY website, and these forums, it suggests that Apple Pay is a valid auto-renew payment method.  Please can someone confirm whether or not it is, and if not does that mean I need to go into my account before my month is up and enter a credit/debit card in order to not lose service?

Many thanks, Alec

9 REPLIES 9

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Interesting @AlecEdworthy
I've got "Auto-renew" setup using PayPal, but the only alternative payment options in my account are:

• Card
  • PayPal   
  • Google Pay

Not sure why I'm not seeing Apple Pay as an option. 
Are you using the SMARTY app, or the online dashboard at https://smarty.co.uk/dashboard, or both? 

I signed up using my Apple laptop.  I've looked at my account in both the SMARTY app and via the online Dashboard on my laptop.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Although I've got an iPhone, I don't use Apple Pay.
SMARTY say you need a compatible device to use Apple / Google Pay, so perhaps the option to add Apple Pay as a payment method is only available if you use the SMARTY app on an iPhone.

In addition @AlecEdworthy, I don't think managing payment methods with Auto-renew turned ON is not as straightforward as it could be. You may need to:

• turn-off Auto-renew;
  • remove all your payment methods;
  • sign-out and close the app;
  • login to the app;
  • select Apple Pay as your payment method;
  • finally setup Auto-renew.
    🍀

Thanks @Chalkychap, I'll keep an eye on my account and see what happens I guess.  During signup, and on the website, it suggests auto-renew is enabled so fingers cross it is (if not I'll be rapidly enabling it in about 30 days time!).

If anyone else knows the answer (or perhaps uses Apple Pay for auto-renew already) I'd love to hear 😀

Okay @AlecEdworthy, if you visit https://smarty.co.uk/dashboard/settings/payment, and then use the "Choose another way to pay" link, there's no Apple Pay option?

The link you posted doesn't work for me (Oops, Page not found), but if I click through my account, Account Settings, Payment Settings then Apple Pay is an option for me.  I'll go back through the process later and see if that updates the Payment Methods page too.

Okay, in my online dashboard, I got to the "Choose another way to pay" link from: 

Account Settings > Payment Settings 

When I click the link, I see "Other ways to pay" where I can choose from: Card, PayPal or Google Pay.

I guess on your Apple laptop or your iPhone you would expect to see an Apple Pay option.
🤞

In the app on my phone I only get card or PayPal. Using a browser (phone or laptop) I get card, PayPal, Apple Pay or Google Pay. If I choose Apple Pay it looks like it wants to charge me another £10, so rather than proceeding I'll leave it as-is and see if it auto-renews correctly next time.

Thank you, A

AB
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

You just wait and see if it auto renew works my didn't even when Autorenew was ticked and selected i received email next month you didnt pay renew your plan had no service for 2 hours