cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can l use my phone-smarty in Norway

William_2112216
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Hi can anyone help. Going on a cruise to Norway in April. Can l use my inclusive mins and internet while l am there. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@William_2112216  Advice from @JodieC  is quite right. One IMPORTANT point in addition - if you phone is turned on while at sea, you may pick up the satellite link that some cruise ships have. If you have credit added to your account and someone happens to call you or you make a call, this could eat credit at an alarming rate. Please see the Price Guide: https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf?_gl=1*jq7nuo*_ga*MTg5MDEzNjYwOS4xNzA1MzA5Njc3*....

I would recommend Airplane mode while on the high seas - turn on to normal mode while in port so that you can roam on a standard network.

If you have a wifi package while on board, you can sometimes use this to make calls via an app such as WhatsApp (other apps are available). It depends, but sometimes you will only have restricted bandwidth unless you pay extra and this can make a video call almost impossible from experience.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JodieC
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hi  @William_2112216 

Thank you for reaching out to us on our SMARTY Community platform!

Norway is part of our EU roaming which means you have a data limit of 12GB to use each month you are roaming in the EU. It is important to know that you may not receive a signal on the cruise and may need to connect to their wifi to receive a signal. 

I hope this helps!

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@William_2112216  Advice from @JodieC  is quite right. One IMPORTANT point in addition - if you phone is turned on while at sea, you may pick up the satellite link that some cruise ships have. If you have credit added to your account and someone happens to call you or you make a call, this could eat credit at an alarming rate. Please see the Price Guide: https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf?_gl=1*jq7nuo*_ga*MTg5MDEzNjYwOS4xNzA1MzA5Njc3*....

I would recommend Airplane mode while on the high seas - turn on to normal mode while in port so that you can roam on a standard network.

If you have a wifi package while on board, you can sometimes use this to make calls via an app such as WhatsApp (other apps are available). It depends, but sometimes you will only have restricted bandwidth unless you pay extra and this can make a video call almost impossible from experience.