cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Router for home wifi

IanTrud_1565651
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi I have unlimited data 5G SIM and I need help with suggestions please...

I want to set up WiFi in my new home and I need  ideas on a Router, which one is suitable with Smarty?. I am basic when it comes to technology so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thankyou

Ian

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on routers (I am sure there are others who are though). BUT, don't forget that you will be relying on mobile signal and so will need to check carefully that the position of the router is such that there is a strong signal in that place in your home.

View solution in original post

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

While a SMARTY SIM usually works in a mobile broadband router, bear in mind that SMARTY don't support their SIM cards when used in this kind of device. So, if you ever had an issue, getting SMARTY to help could be difficult, especially as they don't have a telephone support helpline.

Personally, I'd recommend using a landline broadband connection instead, if that's in your price range. Anyway, good luck @IanTrud_1565651.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

Unfortunately, I'm no expert on routers (I am sure there are others who are though). BUT, don't forget that you will be relying on mobile signal and so will need to check carefully that the position of the router is such that there is a strong signal in that place in your home.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

While a SMARTY SIM usually works in a mobile broadband router, bear in mind that SMARTY don't support their SIM cards when used in this kind of device. So, if you ever had an issue, getting SMARTY to help could be difficult, especially as they don't have a telephone support helpline.

Personally, I'd recommend using a landline broadband connection instead, if that's in your price range. Anyway, good luck @IanTrud_1565651.

That must be for data in voice SIM plans! Smarty also do data only plans and it would be absurd if you could not use that for data!

Yes @Brookhouse, SMARTY plans have a calls, texts, and data allowance.

SMARTY's data-ONLY SIM plans have no calls, nor any texts in the plan.

Seems sensible enough, I guess... 

WelshSian
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

The SMARTY terms and conditions (section 5.15 & 5.16) state that you must not use their service as a replacement for a home broadband connection. If you regularly tether more than 8 devices, SMARTY will likely suspend your service.

Section 5.15 being relevant to an unlimited data only plan, and it would also depend on the meaning of long-term.

Until 2018, the terms and conditions on many mobile phone SIM cards would prevent you from using the SIM card in devices other than a mobile phone. However, this changed in 2018 as Ofcom ruled that this was a breach of net neutrality as defined in the Open Internet Access Regulation:

AlecEdworthy
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Given the exorbitant price of 5G routers (new at least) I would suggest you are better off going with a deal where you get the router bundled in with the data plan. Forum rules prohibit postings which advertise services elsewhere unfortunately. 

ROYHEALE_932998
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have a 5G smarty (call text & data) unlimited sim card in a Huawei 5G router which is in my office upstairs with a desk top computer connected, another desk top is Wi-Fi in my sons bedroom, we also run 2 laptops, iPad 3 fire 7 tablets 2 mobile phones when at home & the tv connected to the internet ( but not all at once) 

Roy

MickLondon
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Three, smarty s mother company does 5g hubs at £20 pcm 2 year contract.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Just read your other post about 5G using more data than 4G @MickLondon

If you are using a Smarty SIM as a replacement for home broadband, and have several devices connected to a Smarty 5G hub / router, then yes, you will consume a lot of data.

ROYHEALE_932998
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

the most data we use each month is 750GB because we live on a farm our internet was down the land line our down load speeds were between 5 and 10Gb uploads between 2 and 5GB now using a SMARTY SIM card in our router our down load speeds are between 100 and 450GB depending on the time of day, being disabled I use the internet a lot, I do a lot of research, shopping and other things like looking for books to buy and read online

johnric_2517129
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I would change to 3 you can get a deal with free router

...and get tied into a two-year contract. Not ideal. Better to get a Smarty unlimited data sim at £20 a month which you can cancel at any time. Then purchase a used 3 or EE 5G router on eBay. That is what I have done. The router was £150 which is not far of the price of a high end wifi router anyway and I have the freedom of not being tied into contracts.

ROYHEALE_932998
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

why would I want to be in a 2 year contract and pay £20 a month when I can pay less with smarty and have had great service from them,  I am sorry but as far as buying a second hand router that’s a no no for me I would never buy second hand electrical products 

Buying used electrical products is not like it used to be. These days, for example, buying on eBay you are covered if the goods are faulty. You can claim a full refund up to 6 months after purchase. Not great for sellers but a big plus for buyers. However, if you want the full 12 month warranty then for sure, new is the way to go. As for 2 year contracts, I would never sign up to such a thing unless it was for full FTTP 500mb plus. Until then I stick with a month by month deal with GiffGaff. I would use Smarty but it doesn't work for 5G here.