cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G speeds atrocious no phone signal either..

Steve_O_Morse
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Moved from O2 last week because of escalating costs.  PAC Code from O2 instant.  Activated Smarty SIM Thursday and applied PAC to port my number to SMARTY.  Didn't  port next business day as stated. Finally ported this lunchtime.  Despite my area being reported by SMARTY and 3 as being good this pm my phone signal in my property is pants, keeps trying to go to WiFi calling and 4G speeds so slow its laughable.  Not even 1 day and I've decided I'm ditching SMARTY.   I've been robbed.   Porting out as soon as I get myself a new sim.  THOUGHTS.  DON'T JOIN SMARTY. 

50 REPLIES 50

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

SMARTY have been fine in my experience. Maybe you've been unlucky @Steve_O_Morse.

If you gave your PAC to SMARTY after 5pm last Thursday, then the next working day is this Monday.

Your area could be affected by network faults/issues, which aren't shown in coverage checker. You can check for faults/issues online, using a postcode, at: 
https://www.smarty.co.uk/network-status-checker.  

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

If speeds in your home are poor, it may be due to the building itself and not necessarily the network.

Not the building.  O2 was perfect on both calls and data.  Its the coverage or a fault which isn't the case, I think. 

Steve, BEng.

Different mobile networks use different parts of the radio spectrum, which they initially purchased from the UK regulator at auction. Some parts of the radio spectrum penetrate buildings better than others. Not all the UK networks have spectrum good for building penetration.

At any given location, one of the mobile networks is likely to provide a better signal than some of their competitors. It seems O2 is the best network at your location @Steve_O_Morse

Steve_O_Morse
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Re PAC number change over, my PAC number change was initiated on Thursday morning last week, 9am, but didn't complete until Monday pm this week.  That in my book isn't next business day, it should have completed on Friday last week. 

Re signal and 4g speeds, I had perfect phone and fast 4g with O2, SMARTY/3 are poor even standing next to a nearby mast and the coverage map showing good indoors and outdoors.

My only issue with O2 was escalating costs.  It just shows that you get what you pay for. 

Well I'd agree @Steve_O_Morse - if you gave your PAC (from O2) to SMARTY before 5pm last Thursday, your number should've been ported from O2 to SMARTY on Friday.

OFCOM's rules say you can claim compensation for each day the port is delayed - 3 days. 

The online coverage checkers show predicted coverage, not actual coverage, at any given location. These coverage checkers are based on computer models, which rely on a number of assumptions to create the models. Maybe your location is one of those places that isn't modelled very well. Did you check for network faults at your location @Steve_O_Morse?  

minipete515
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

All this ‘it might be your building’ and ‘a fault in your area’ is rubbish. Similar situation, I thought Virgin price increase was taking the **** so moved to Smarty. Not able to call or message anyone when out in town this morning and now back home either 1 bar or no signal. This is not acceptable - sorry Virgin, can I come back please!

Postik
SMARTY Enquirer
SMARTY Enquirer

Have just switched to Smarty today.  The 4G connection is laughable.  On a speed test it either fails altogether or I get 1MB download speed.  I checked the coverage map before switching and it showed good connection where I live.

I only wish I had waited to enter my PAC code and transfer my number, because now I have to go through the whole rigmarole of switching back again to Tesco Mobile.

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Sorry to hear about your poor experience with the Three UK mobile network @Postik

The UK mobile operators should be more upfront in their online coverage checkers.
They all hide away in their smallprint, a statement about coverage being a theoretical prediction, and that the actual signal, at any given location, could be different to the predicted coverage (especially indoors).
😔

I just checked the Network status and it says they are working on an issue with masts in this area.  Last updated at 1:45pm today.  I am hoping I am premature in my negativity and perhaps it will be okay,

WelshPaul
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I've had that network status displayed no matter what post code I use in the Swansea area for 2 years now @Postik. FYI - I have no issues even though the network status says otherwise!

Chalkychap
SMARTY Major Player
SMARTY Major Player

Ah, that might explain things - have you tried your SMARTY SIM card in several different locations yet @Postik, away from masts being worked on? 

Three UK (SMARTY's parent) claim to have dedicated 140MHz of spectrum to delivering their 5G service - 50MHz more than any of their UK competitors. Let's hope we get the full benefits from 2025 onwards, once Three have switched OFF their 3G network infrastructure (at the end of 2024).

PJ
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I've had that message for the ten days since I joined... Good luck m8

1 mb lucky sod. I've a 6.6gb download that's going to take 1 months 15 days 5hours and half a cup of tea. 

PJ
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Same problem with me. I joined 10 day's ago... I'm off back to Giffgaff. Internet so slow... Quicker to walk there.😡

BobbyBooshay
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I am new to Smarty and i also feel the signal is terrible. I'm gong to port out or just get a new sim elsewhere.

I did make a post but it's vanished.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

 Ah, another one of the “oh woe is me” posts 🙄

Just because Smarty is poor for you, it doesn’t mean Smarty is bad for everyone, but self centred people keep falling into the trap of “Smarty is bad for me, so it must be bad for everyone in the country !”

Not for me, I get great speeds, as you can see.

Where I live, O2 is dire, but that doesn’t mean of course that O2 is bad for absolutely everyone in the country ! 

Oh, and by the way, an adult using the word “pants” to describe something they don’t like instantly loses credibility with us “grown ups” ! 

IMG_1184.png

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

@JJP2 Yeah its one of those things that even doing a 'test drive' of the host network helped flush out potential issues for me (which there were none) - something that people fail/forget to do and then are disappointed later to find out the experience was not what they were 'hoping for'. I think the end of this year will be a big milestone all the UK networks in general with the 3G switch off being wrapped up and what is next in terms of bettering 4G/5G connectivity (hopefully). 

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

 As the previous Speedtest was old, just did a fresh test :

Again, just because Smarty is bad for you, it doesn’t mean it’s bad for everyone, far from it ! 

IMG_1253.png

No
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

You take a stance of "if it's bad for some, it doesn't mean it's bad for everyone else", and then say something which negates your point by saying "people using words you wouldn't, invalidates their opinion". The facts are, people are having a very poor service while paying the same as those having a seemingly great service. Those experiencing a lesser service outnumber, and have every right to state how poor the service they are paying for is - using any vocabulary they like. Perhaps you should grow up because your behaviour is not that of the adult you claim to be. You're obviously a shill for Smarty, we get it. Hop off the forums and go enjoy your great service and leave the rest of us to state facts of how inadequate the large majority of Smarty's service users recieve is.

Jonatha_2317815
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I had a similar problem with very poor ACTUAL coverage/signal despite Ofcom, Smarty, Three all reporting good 4G coverage and no reported problems.  It happens - sadly.  Often with mast upgrades that are planned + not yet complete but as such are NOT required to be shown in the "problem/outage" database despite, clearly, causing a problem/outage.  [I learnt this eventually from the Smarty Customer Support team.  They admitted the problem, refunded my monthly charge immediately[.

Trial and error.  Try Giffgaff (MVNO and sub of 02) or Voxi (MVNO and sub of Vodafone) or Lebara (MVNO on Vodafone) or Lyca Mobile (MVNO on EE) instead and see which one actually works for you on the cheapest tariff before PACing across.  [Here a dual SIM phone helps with running tests].   Not as cheap perhaps as Smarty but different networks so different coverage and some have better international roaming. 

Beatriz_2453629
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I had the same experience and I feel like I have been robbed. They can’t sort any issues either, just leave you with the problems and give you the same customised replies. It’s actually ridiculous. Don’t waste your time and money with SMARTY, as soon as you run into an issue you’ll be left with no help.

@Beatriz_2453629 You haven't given much detail as to the nature of the problem, but it is not uncommon for a property to be in a 'dead' zone for mobile signal.

Have you actually had a good signal with one of the other networks? No network can guarantee signal - the coverage checker is purely an indicator for the general area.

Maybe it is not possible to sort the issue?

It's a shame the Smarty has not worked out for you. On the plus side, you are not tied into a long contract and are free to find a network with a good signal in your area.

davidhow_197735
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

i live in the s40 area and when i first got smarty it was great, however gradually it got slower and slower ie speeds of 0.025 mbps, these speeds came daily so i ditched smarty in october 2023 and went to another provider at the same price, my only regret is did not ditch smarty sooner

@davidhow_197735  While I'm glad that you have decent service now, did you do a Coverage Check and a Network Status check when you noticed the problems?

yes and it said there were problems in the s40 area, i had three for since 2009 and switched to smarty which was really good, after a year or two the problems started we would get good speeds until about 4-5 pm and then speeds would plummet this would go on until around 12am then things would improve, i think the network was overloaded, on the network i am now on i get much the same drop in speed at around 5pm but instead of it dropping down to almost nothing it drops from around 30-35mbps to 8-14mbps so for me it is great and it is the same price.

sigarner
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Same issue here, data speeds on 4G are so bad websites time out and I can’t even do a speed test! Wish I’d not done the port from o2 so quickly, now I’ve got to wait 2 days then do another move to Lebara (which I’ve tried and data speeds are fine and a lot cheaper!) It’s a shame as the voice signal is full

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi, I also moved properties in the last 5 days. In my previous property, everything was fine—200–300 Mbps downloads, 100 Mbps uploads. Now it's 20 Mbps and 0.35 Mbps uploads.. 

• Today, we have sunny skies, good weather, and 5G is 30 Mbps, with uploads of 0.30 Mbps. It is still not acceptable. Walk two minutes down the road, and I get 800 Mbps downloads. I have been talking to Ofcom, as the price I pay for unlimited is not justifiable. They gave me £6 off. However, my argument is that the service is not fit for purpose. I pay £16 a month and was over the moon with the service, really pleased at my previous address, but here I even struggle with 4G. My signal strength is one bar, two bars. I have used a program called Cell Network Info Lite and Mastdata. I performed a survey by walking around the streets and recording every step and signal power and found that my area is around -112 dBm, which is poor. Up the road, it drops to -99, and downloads are 200-300 Mbps, with uploads of 20 Mbps. Have a look on your phone in Settings, About, Status Info, SIM card, and you will see your signal power. You don't need apps, but Ofcom has already advised me, and I am just getting evidence together. They have stated that there's unplanned work, but Three told me there are no problems reported. I have even thought my phone was broken because I dropped it the other day and thought, "Did I damage the antenna?" It's not fair or right, so let's see what happens.

Let me know how you are getting on.

@Liquadia49  How did Ofcom give you £6 off? Surely, speeds are never guaranteed anywhere so I don't understand the issue fully. Of course, it's a different matter with broadband where the speeds are guaranteed to an extent.

Setting aside that there is a current issue in some areas at present, it may be that you will need to see if any other network provides a better signal in your new home. The fact that you can get a good signal down the road may indicate that it is the property that is blocking the signal  and Smarty cannot be responsible for that.

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hello, thanks for your reply.  Ofcom didnt give me £6 off it was smarty due to thr severely low speeds.  Its conpensation due to the inconvenience really.  Ofcom have advised an 8 week cooling off period whereby if the problem isnt resolved by then ofcom will advise further.  They Smarty stated there is high utilisation in thr area, further someone else fron smarty stated there is also unplanned maintenance.  I checked smarty but there is no plans or problems in the area.

Sooo I have just left it with smarty to resolve due to the fact they admitted there are provldms in the area.  They now have a duty to try and get this repaired within that time frame, failure to do so after 8 weeks is a problem ofcom can resolve.

As for yoyr comment surely its the property I disagree as yesterday I was getting speeds 20Mbps dl and 2Mbps upload. Today its 1Mbps in the same place, my couch in front of the t.v.  lets see what happens I suppose.

Thanks for your input 

@Liquadia49 Well, at least Smarty offered you a partial refund and that's good.

I really don't believe that Ofcom will be able to force Smarty to do anything; they can intervene if a company is making a specific offer that it cannot meet. Don't forget that Smarty buys the service from Three and there is never any guarantee of a particular speed with any network - someone can put me right if there is a network offering a cast-iron guarantee currently.

This page may be useful: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/what-is-ofcom

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

EE offer a guarantee on your connection and if it doesnt meet your demands then they will get it fixed in 30 days.

https://ee.co.uk/help/broadband/manage-use/ee-speed-guarantee

@Liquadia49  So they do.....but you are looking at the guarantee on their broadband and not their mobile data !!

To quote their website:

Need to know

Speed Guarantee

Your broadband comes with your own personal Speed Guarantee, which guarantees the speed to your hub.

You can check your speed using the steps above.

If it's not what we promised, let us know. If we can't fix it within 30 days, you can choose to leave with no penalty fees.

@Liquadia49  Smarty do specifically state that customers should not rely on mobile data as a replacement for broadband.

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

And thats o.k. the problem I have is I have no choice but to use mobile, as the property never had a phone line put in..  Hopefully I wont be here long as I am looking for new accomodation its a temp move for now.

But again cheers.

@Liquadia49 Given your circumstances, the cheaper option may be to get hold of cheap PAYG sim's for the major networks to see if you can get any better signal where you are.

Liquadia49
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Yes, you're right. I was experimenting with antennas using a router that cost £150, I believe it was a Poynting antenna with a TP-Link router.

Then I thought more about what they call a SIM card-based modem, a portable device that can sit just outside on the windowsill, and I can connect to it wirelessly.

Alternatively, I could use a router that allows a SIM card to be inserted inside it and place it just outside.

What are your thoughts?

Just a bizarre update. I went outside by the kitchen window and opened the side gate leading to my enclosed mini garden, and it downloaded at 177 Mbps, with 4 Mbps uploads. Now if only I could get that signal inside without incurring high costs...

@Liquadia49  On the upside, at least you have found that there is a signal near your home!

Not sure about leaving a modem outside on the windowsill - Rain damage and risk of electrical item blowing up? How to keep it plugged in and close window?