cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi calling working from overseas yes or no

GuyE_2053420
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

The help pages say it doesn't work from overseas and didn't for me in June but today I received an email from Smarty saying WiFi calling can be used to save money. "6 steps to get your SIM set for summer ๐Ÿ˜Ž"

2 REPLIES 2

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

All calls will be chargeable when abroad, regardless of whether you're using WiFi-calling or the mobile network.

WiFi-calling is only supported by UK networks within the UK, and is a means to extend coverage.

On the rare occasions that Wi-Fi calling does work abroad, standard roaming charges still apply.

However, if by wi-fi call,  you mean a call through Whatsapp, Signal or Telegram, these are not carried through the mobile network as a call but are charged as data usage.

jassingh
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

Yeah as @JJP2  mentioned, Wifi-calling is limited to use in the UK for UK networks so its rare that it will work this way abroad. I think the phrase "WiFi Calling" is ambiguous - you can have 'network' based wifi calling which is an extension to your mobile signal for making standard voice calls, and then you have apps that can perform "wifi calling" such as WhatsApp, Messenger, Telegram etc to send voice/video calls over the wifi signal. The latter won't cost you anything (connect to free wifi and off you go).