Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touring Canada and Alaska cruise

GeorgeW_2390662
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi all.

Myself and Mrs are going to Vancouver, then cruising Alaska for a week, then touring Banff, Jasper, Calgary etc. Three weeks all told. We're both SIM only with smarty, 32gb.

I know we need to turn off data roaming when we leave the UK and we will just use WiFi at hotels, cruise, restaurants etc. But I'll be driving quite a lot and I don't think Google maps will work with my data off.

What would be the easiest way around this? Buy a SIM for North America? If we're there three weeks, any idea how much data we'd need?

Thanks all

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeorgeW_2390662  In my opinion, the easiest solution (if your phone accepts it) is to use an e-Sim package.

Absolutely no idea how much data you'll need - how long is a piece of string? With an e-sim, you normally can purchase a top-up if you get low on data.

I have used Airalo recently with success and I know others have also used Holly. Some research on Google may clarify the issue for you.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeorgeW_2390662  The should read... Holafly

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

In addition to the good advice from @MSF in your case, I would recommend Holafly for your eSIM, simply because it offers unlimited data, so it’s “one and done”, no need to top up like with Airalo and others.

Google Maps, Apple Maps and Wazę can eat a lot of data on road trips.

if you’re unsure about how to use travel eSIMs, watch videos about them on YouTube. I recommend looking up the guy whose channel is called “project untethered”

I wouldn’t use Smarty outside the UK and EU, as it’s simply far too expensive.