cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tether

ColumLa_1949047
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Can I use the data from my phone on my Television? Instead of using home broadband 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@ColumLa_1949047  You can certainly connect a device to your phone via the hotspot. The problem with using it for a TV is that mobile signals are not as constant as home broadband and so you may have difficulties.

Smarty do state that you should never rely on mobile broadband as a replacement for home broadband.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@ColumLa_1949047  You can certainly connect a device to your phone via the hotspot. The problem with using it for a TV is that mobile signals are not as constant as home broadband and so you may have difficulties.

Smarty do state that you should never rely on mobile broadband as a replacement for home broadband.

Jamie
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

My dad's been using smarty for home broadband for nearly 2 years, it's only lost connection once in that period.

Compare that to broadband ISP's on the BT openreach system, he's found his smarty SIM in a Huawei B311 router more reliable than wired broadband. 

@Jamie The certainly is good news! You have highlighted one of the main points that we often see on the forum. for many people everything is rosy, but for some it just does not work. Depends upon proximity to masts, levels of congestion, whether there is an 'r' in the month (OK, to be fair that may be for oysters!)

Jamie
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

Yes my dad is only half a mile away from a three mast over open fields. His router constantly shows 3/3 bars signal.

Jamie
SMARTY Commentator
SMARTY Commentator

As I said, my old man has used smarty for his house broadband for two years.

He is not on unlimited, he's on the 200GB deal, maybe that's why he has never been hassled for over usage.

@Jamie I'm not sure it's connected with him not being on unlimited plans. There are many people who do get great service without issue. The thing is that Smarty do make it clear that you cannot always rely on mobile broadband to replace landline. If it does work for you - good news!!