cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming slow initial log on

MarkDav_1795153
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I have noticed that Smarty seems to take an age to log onto a local overseas network service provider, when arriving abroad.  As usual as soon as we land I switch my iPhone 15 pro on by turning off flight mode.  It then seems to take an age before the phone successfully accesses a local network.  On my recent trip to Poland I was still waiting for a signal 25mins after arriving. I needed to call my pick up via WhatsApp, so we had to wait until I got service to get our pick up.  Very frustrating.   Previous networks I would expect to get access before I left the plane.  BTW I have updated my settings.  Once it logs on it works well.    Any clues? 

2 REPLIES 2

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@MarkDav_1795153  Surely, doesn't it depend upon the network you are joining?

Why not try a manual search of the different networks available? - one may have a stronger signal.

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

I can't say I've noticed this myself. I last used my Smarty SIM abroad in May in Majorca, and I don't recall there being much of a delay in getting online.

I do recall when I was using a Lebara SIM in Budapest the previous year, that took a while before I could get any data through it (it just hung onto 2G with no data throughput for around half an hour), which was a little inconvenient as I was needing to check public transport info online while at the airport.

@MSF  It could be Smarty's or the foreign network's fault.. when your phone attempts to roam on a foreign network, that network speaks to your home network and checks that your home network is happy for it to allow roaming and to pay the foreign network for any fees you incur.