cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving calls from UK when I'm abroad

ED_2380930
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hello there,I was wondering if anyone could receive UK calls when abroad. I bought the out of plan roaming. I can use data, call and text to UK fine but I can't receive calls from UK. Anyone has any solution? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@ED_2380930  Is it calls from multiple people that are failing to reach you? Are you sure that you have enough credit to pay for the receipt of the call if you are International Roaming?

@MSF yes,I can call their UK mobile number no problem. However, they can't reach my UK number.  It says 'my number can't be reached for now' when they try calling. What is the problem if you may know? Thank you

@ED_2380930 Really not sure what the issue is. Have you tried a web chat with Support Team?

May be worth asking the person to dial your number with +44 and no zero at the beginning. Did you check that you have credit to pay for receiving the call?

Restarted my phone. All good now. Thanks for your replies and help @MSF 

@ED_2380930  Aha!!! The standard old Techie's solution - "Well mate, simply power down, leave it a couple of minutes and then power up again"

I'm guessing that the network wherever you are was not 'seeing' your phone clearly and by restarting, you forced it to register to network and it did that properly.

Good result for you!

@MSF yes. I think that's probably the reason. Glad it works now 🙂

AndrewP_1422753
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Just as a follow up to the question - as this was the first post I came across - if I'm, say, visiting the USA and want to be able to receive calls only but NOT to be able to use data (as it's very expensive), can I just buy an 'out of plan' add-on but keep 'Roaming' off? Example being, I want a relative to be able to call me in an emergency but will use a different eSIM on the phone for data.

@AndrewP_1422753  If you turn mobile data off then your phone can still make or receive calls but this will prevent the phone from any data activity that could burn credit in the background. Don't forget that you will be charged to make or receive a call and to send a text - see Price guide.

Hey @AndrewP_1422753, when I visited the USA in 2023 I did something similar.

I purchased a SMARTY add-on, for out-of-plan use on my SMARTY account (i.e. to make & receive calls in the USA, if necessary). I also purchased a data-only eSIM. 

While in the USA, I disabled the MOBILE DATA on the primary slot (my SMARTY SIM), and enabled MOBILE DATA on the secondary slot (my data-only eSIM). 

This setup worked very well while I was roaming in the USA.