Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem sending text to France

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hello,

I'm a new SMARTY customer and I have just joined this community. I have a Motorola g13 with Android 13, Smarty SIM in Slot1 and Three PAYG in Slot2, and am experiencing an odd problem. It is going through Support at the moment but progress is painfully slow, so I thought I would post here just in case anyone can help.

I can call and text on both SIMs to UK numbers and I can call France using the SMARTY SIM. I can receive text messages from UK and France on both SIMs, but I am unable to send text messages to France on either SIM. I get the message 'Trouble sending. check options '. I am using the Google Messages app and I have tried other SMS apps as well. If I move the SMARTY SIM to a spare mobile (IPphone) I have the same problem. I have tried the SMARTY SIM on its own in the g13 and have the same issue.

11 REPLIES 11

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Thegg  Have you got credit to pay for the international text? They are not included in a Smarty plan. Please see the Price Guide.https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Price-Guide.pdf 

Are you actually calling a French mobile? Don't forget that the apps will use data from your Smarty plan and therefore do not need extra credit.

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

@MSF  Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do have credit through an out-of-plan add-on.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I am calling the French mobile and can see my add-on credit being consumed. When I try to text the same number, I get the error message and no credit is used.

Have you checked the settings are correct for sms? Also is text less than 300kb limit?

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

What settings do you mean?  The text is just a few words. I don't know how I can measure its size,

@Thegg  Here is an article that should explain: https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/1170797-problems-with-sending-text-messages

If the text is only a few words, then it is very unlikely to exceed that limit. Occasionally, people try to send long messages with emoji's etc (or even pictures -> MMS) and they can get much bigger

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Thank you for the link. I have seen the article and checked the number is correct on my phone. I assume if it was wrong I would not be able to send/receive any text messages. I can text UK numbers fine. It is just when I text a contact in France, the message is rejected. I have had an update from SMARTY support who say the recipient network is rejecting the message as number unknown. However, I can call it and my wife can text it. Very odd. Thank you  for trying to help.

@Thegg  Sorry that you've not been able to sort it.

As a last ditch attempt.......If it is a UK mobile, are you sending it to +44 7xxx xxxxxx?

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Creative thinking, but it is a French mobile and I've tried +33 and 0033

@Thegg  Sacre bleu, je suis desolé.  As a real last, final ,ultimate ditch stand.........

Is there any chance that the local network in La Belle France has a problem with the mast where your contact is situated? 

Malheureusement, je suis hors de ideas après cela

(Stopped after O level many years ago🙄)

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

No problem with the mast as far as I know. I am just waiting for support to come back with their diagnosis. I'll post their solution if one appears.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Thegg
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Turned out to be the French mobile. It is an Iphone without SMS enabled on the SIM. The owner mainly uses WhatsApp and Apple's own message system and didn't know that SMS messages to the phone were not being received. All sorted now.