Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network connection

Bagheera
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Hi Smarty Community,

I've just joined Smarty and selected a Data Only SIM as it seemed to be a good choice for a mobile router.

However, since receiving and activating the SIM, my router was only able to connect for about a minute and afterwards can no longer connect.

According to Smarty's network coverage site, I should have excellent indoor and outdoor 4G coverage but I still cannot connect.  Over mobile providers such as BT and Vodafone have great coverage, so it's odd that Three don't.

I've noticed a worrying number of community posts regarding poor or no network coverage, so is this normal for Smarty?  I think it was mistake to have used them.

6 REPLIES 6

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

IMG_1253.png

Smarty is fine for a lot of us, as you can see.

Did you do a real world test, or just rely on coverage maps online ?

Also, have a look at the Smarty Terms and Conditions - Section 5.15 states that Smarty should not be used as a permanent replacement for fixed line broadband. They will stop your service if they deem you to be using Smarty as a permanent replacement for fixed line broadband. 

Smarty is a no frills mobile phone service. Since I joined. I have been amazed at the number of people trying to use the service in many ways that are not mobile phone use. The guy who bought a Tesla but then whinged Smarty wouldn’t work as a data service in the car, when you need to buy a service through Tesla, gave me a chuckle. 

Bagheera
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

As an IT professional I did my research with the tools available.  Both Smarty and Three state they have excellent coverage for my area.  Other mobile providers also have the same coverage here, so there is no problem with the underlying mobile network.  Rather I suspect the problem is with Smarty themselves.  Also you are incorrect when you state "people trying to use the service in many ways that are not mobile phone use."

Smarty is touted as the only UK provider that has a Data Only (so no phone number, calls or minutes) provider, and is precisely the provider you would use for a mobile router.  They are the only provider that state explicitly they have unlimited tethering for mobile devices, such as routers.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

So, no real world test then, you don’t actually buy a SIM card and test out the service, merely relying on the online coverage maps ? 

You should familiarise yourself with the T&C’s above.

Bagheera
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

You don't seem to have anything constructive to add to the discussion.  Please either add constructive help or refrain from future comments.  You come across as a bit of a smug, know it all and offer nothing useful to any thread I've seen you post on.

JJP2
SMARTY Pro-coach
SMARTY Pro-coach

Have you checked you have the correct settings in the router ? Your manual will explain how to do this.

Bagheera
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Yes