cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet in France

Christo_2130912
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi we are travelling around France and for the past 10 days we have had no internet. Count less messaging with smarty was unsure how to do what they were suggesting around the APN setting on my phone, whether this would work and completely mess up my phone as this was our only connection 4G for any internet.  Is there any other way we can get internet we have a router in our motorhome so any Ideas would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Linsey
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey Christo_2130912 

Before you set off on any adventures outside the UK, you need to ensure that your device's APN settings are properly configured. 

Setting up your phone to work abroad | SMARTY Help Centre

It is important to know that you may not get the same great coverage abroad as you do back in the UK.

You'll be connecting to a different network, which SMARTY has no control over.

If you're running into issues, you can manually switch networks in your device settings to see if that helps. 

However, if youโ€™d like to get in touch, just follow this link: Contact us - FAQ | SMARTY

๐Ÿ˜Ž

SmartyTrousers
SMARTY Spark
SMARTY Spark

It's sounding like Smarty have advised you of the APN change required but you don't feel comfortable doing it? Ok, up to you, but you won't be getting any data connection from your Smarty SIM if you don't.

As for other options, you could see if you can purchase a local SIM for the router in your motorhome.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Christo_2130912  If you are inside a motorhome, it may be that the 'metal box' is shielding the signal. This is known as a Faraday Cage and you might overcome it by having an external antenna.

If you are roaming in the EU, the APN must be set correctly in order to get a connection.

I'm assuming that the sim is in the phone, but you mention a router. Does the router have a separate sim? You would still need to set the APN correctly on that (done via the Settings Page on a browser).

A final point to consider: are you sure that you have data left on your plan and have not exceeded 12Gb while EU Roaming? Check your account dashboard maybe?