cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep my account open

fwp
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

I'm moving out of the UK, but I'd like to keep my UK number. What do I have to do to keep my Smarty account open? It sounds like I need to buy a monthly plan once every 220 days - is that it?

Will Smarty ever terminate my account, e.g. if I'm not connected to a UK network for a prolonged period of time?

Should I disable data on my Smarty SIM while abroad, so that I don't run foul of fair-use restrictions (in case of travel through countries covered by free roaming)?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

Okay @fwp, current SMARTY terms cover this issue in section 9. 

You can read the current terms online at https://cdn.smarty.co.uk/files/SMARTY-Terms-And-Conditions.pdf.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@fwp  Your first paragraph sums it up.

Smarty will deactivate your sim if you ignore the email that arrives after 180 days giving 40 days in which to buy a plan.

While abroad e.g. roaming, your sim will only use data if you are in an EU country and that is limited to 12Gb. I think that takes care of the fair-use issue automatically.

Hope this helps. As @Chalkychap says, it is deep in the T&C's.

fwp
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Based on Section 8j, it seems that not only will Smarty disable free EU roaming, but they will actually terminate my account if I'm abroad for >60 days. That's quite an extreme approach and suggests that I should switch to another provider before moving out of the UK.

Am I reading this correctly?

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@fwp If you read the T&C's carefully, it says SUSPEND your account and not TERMINATE it. That refers to actually EU Roaming. If you turn off data for a period, then you are not actually Roaming.

What they are in effect saying is that people who over-use beyond what the T&C's state will have service suspended and will need to ask for it to be re-connected.

Companies have to pay the overseas networks for your usage and so are not over keen for you to buy a cheap UK contract and then take it overseas to a more expensive country and benefit for more than two months.

fwp
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

That may be the case, but Section 8 clearly gives them the right to suspend all services:

We may Suspend any or all of Our services you use without notice

Indefinite suspension is effectively a termination, as I wouldn't be able to use my phone number anymore.

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@fwp  If you don't break the 60 day roaming rule, then it ain't gonna happen so it would be hypothetical.