cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Mifi devices only use Data Only SIMs?

IanBrom_1941849
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

I’ve been happily tethering from my TPLink mifi device using a Smarty data only SIM for a while now, however I have noticed some other Smarty Voice/Data/Text sims that may offer better value for me if I can use it in my mifi device to access only the data element. Is there any reason why these cheaper sims wont work in a mifi device, for example they operate only with DATA Only sims?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

What do TPLink say, @IanBrom_1941849

Personally, can't think of a reason why a mobile broadband router would not work with a non-data only SIM. 

Online, SMARTY state the following about their SIM only plans (i.e. with calls, texts & data allowances): 

Chalkychap_0-1708431976949.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

What do TPLink say, @IanBrom_1941849

Personally, can't think of a reason why a mobile broadband router would not work with a non-data only SIM. 

Online, SMARTY state the following about their SIM only plans (i.e. with calls, texts & data allowances): 

Chalkychap_0-1708431976949.png

Thanks for the response. TPLink don’t seem to be able to give me an answer, they just ask more questions about the “specification” of the SIM I’m looking to use. Assuming that Smarty’s piece that you’ve kindly posted relates to both data only and data/minutes/text SIMs then I agree we should be okay. I guess all I can do is buy one and give it a try.