cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defeating a nickname SIM without a PAC ?

IanJone_1765915
SMARTY Maverick
SMARTY Maverick

Based on articles and community answers, I think I am doomed.  Is there any way to free a nickname account from a group?

I had a group with 3 SIMs. The "owner" SIM was for a WiFi router, and the other two family accounts. Since I was the owner - I apparently set up my own SIM as a nickname SIM. That felt like the best thing to do.

I closed the WiFi router account (owner), moving to another provider. That means that on an iphone at least, the smarty app is now useless - always brings up "Account closed". I can still control the group from the web.

I now want to bring the WiFi router back. I am resisting adding it to a defunct group. I have ordered a SIM using a new account.

I WAS able to remove the other family SIM from the group, so the group now has an owner (closed) and a nickname SIM (my main one). The only suggestion from chat is to transfer my number to another provider with a PAC and then bring it back. As that mobile is used for a lot of 2 factor authentication... its not a viable approach.

Is there any way to get to the point of a working group (no closed accounts) without performing a PAC dance.  I don't care if I have to create a new group or account etc.

Thanks in advance. I am left feeling that nickname accounts are some form of evil in the heart of the smarty admin systems !

3 REPLIES 3

Chalkychap
SMARTY Trendsetter
SMARTY Trendsetter

It shouldn't be possible to create a Group with more than 2 member SIM cards, when one has used the nickname option, @IanJone_1765915.

I suspect you'll need SMARTY tech support to resolve the issue - contact them using their online web chat at https://smarty.co.uk/contact - scroll down to "Start a conversation".

I had owner, nickname and family (3 sims). Now down to owner (closed) and nickname

it was support suggested the PAC dance. Questions elsewhere suggest nicknames are evil

Yes @IanJone_1765915, useful but come with pitfalls. 

There's an online help article which states: 

A word on nickname SIMs...

You won't be able to remove a nickname SIM, as they don't have an online account set up. Group members must have an online account to transfer to a regular SMARTY account.

If you need to pause payment for your nickname SIM, you can get in touch with our Customer Care Experts via webchat. You’ll find the icon to launch chat in the bottom right of the screen.

You might need to get a free PAYG SIM from someone like giffgaff, then port the nickname number to giffgaff using a PAC. Seems like a faff, but may just work.

When I did this, I recall still having to ask customer care to remove the nickname account after switching.