cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruising

Desneem_1961286
SMARTY Rookie
SMARTY Rookie

Going on a Mediterranean cruise, Spain, France Italy don't want to be hit with huge data bills. the ship is registered in Bermuda(I think,) What do I need to set my phone up as. I will use wi-fi etc while on shore, but will not be using the ships wi-fi as it's too expensive and slow

4 REPLIES 4

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey  Desneem_1961286

you will need to change the setting on your phone before roaming but here are all the roaming details. https://bit.ly/40KFbLq 

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@Desneem_1961286 you can use your normal Smarty plan while in the EU countries (Spain, France, Italy) only subject to 12Gb maximum of data. Calls and texts will usually be fine (just back from Spain and all was totally fine). While on ship, be careful as some of them have satellite link and that would be an astronomical cost - maybe best to leave phone off or on airplane mode while on board.

As you say, you may find freebie wifi while on dry land but that is not always fast enough for WhatsApp calls etc.

You are also correct about ship wifi. Generally slow and expensive although some offer a faster service at more money!

I have used my phone in Spain about 4 times and use the settings provided by smarty but it is so un reliable and drops out all the time and cannot be relied on. All other UK networks seem to work fine, it's so frustrating that I am thinking of changing provider. 

@GuyWill_1001991 Sorry to hear it. Not my experience though.