Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Touring Canada and Alaska cruise

GeorgeW_2390662
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Hi all.

Myself and Mrs are going to Vancouver, then cruising Alaska for a week, then touring Banff, Jasper, Calgary etc. Three weeks all told. We're both SIM only with smarty, 32gb.

I know we need to turn off data roaming when we leave the UK and we will just use WiFi at hotels, cruise, restaurants etc. But I'll be driving quite a lot and I don't think Google maps will work with my data off.

What would be the easiest way around this? Buy a SIM for North America? If we're there three weeks, any idea how much data we'd need?

Thanks all

3 REPLIES 3

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeorgeW_2390662  In my opinion, the easiest solution (if your phone accepts it) is to use an e-Sim package.

Absolutely no idea how much data you'll need - how long is a piece of string? With an e-sim, you normally can purchase a top-up if you get low on data.

I have used Airalo recently with success and I know others have also used Holly. Some research on Google may clarify the issue for you.

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@GeorgeW_2390662  The should read... Holafly

JJP2RidesAgain
SMARTY Motivator
SMARTY Motivator

In addition to the good advice from @MSF in your case, I would recommend Holafly for your eSIM, simply because it offers unlimited data, so itโ€™s โ€œone and doneโ€, no need to top up like with Airalo and others.

Google Maps, Apple Maps and Wazฤ™ can eat a lot of data on road trips.

if youโ€™re unsure about how to use travel eSIMs, watch videos about them on YouTube. I recommend looking up the guy whose channel is called โ€œproject untetheredโ€

I wouldnโ€™t use Smarty outside the UK and EU, as itโ€™s simply far too expensive.