cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor/Non-existent coverage in Athens, Greece

ChuinKe_2010397
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Currently here and experiencing very occasional 5G signal but mostly ‘E’ - which doesn’t work. Have updated mobile network settings and hard resetted phone. Even tried manually selecting network but no difference. In desperation have paid for data eSIM - this works much better despite using same network as Smarty (Nova). So this suggests this is a Smarty or ‘3’ network problem? Disappointing as now tempted to change to different network when we return home - one which has better roaming coverage. 

4 REPLIES 4

MSF
SMARTY Guru
SMARTY Guru

@ChuinKe_2010397 This has come up a few times before. I do wonder whether the networks in the EU give priority to their own customers. If the boot were on the other foot i.e. our network was being used by a lot of travellers from the EU, I would certainly hope that we would get priority.  

If what I think is true, the situation may be the same whichever UK network you chose to roam with.

Yes that thought had also occurred to me but my wife and children are on different UK networks and they are not having the same problem as me. 

@ChuinKe_2010397  Do you think that maybe some other networks pay more than Smarty/Three?

Yes that has to be my presumption based on my experience with the eSIM and the other UK networks. That doesn’t mean that Smarty is not very good value for money in the UK but the need to spend extra to obtain a decent signal abroad is off-putting.