cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No signal since May - housebound - call not connected - what am I paying for?

AmyStewa_279164
SMARTY Pioneer
SMARTY Pioneer

Please help. I called but was promised a call back/email but no contact from accessibility. I had a text beg May work on mast. May disrupt for 2 weeks. Not ideal but fine. I'm housebound so signal and safety is of the most importance. Can't even connect to emergency numbers - phone states call not connected. 

If I'm connected to WiFi my phone doesn't ring. But I do get text messages re missed calls and voicemails.

When WiFi off shows 4g but doesn't ring when I attempt outbound calls and again just no ringing but constant voicemail texts.

Haven't had access to internet data. Now having experience with phones in work place and troubleshooting (6 yrs ago) I am flabbergasted. Tried SIM in 2 other phones no difference. 

No discussion of compensation, just ANOTHER SIM...when can I just have a no issue service.

Tia 

5 REPLIES 5

Rebekah_150
SMARTY Moderator SMARTY Moderator
SMARTY Moderator

Hey AmyStewa_279164,

There are several ways to get in touch with our accessibility team directly here are all the ways to reach them https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/967856-accessibility-with-smarty 

I appreciate that but I can only communicate by phone as I am currently typing with one finger due to my disability and it's too painful. Plus I would prefer consistency from the agent I spoke to like she promised. Or if no resolution let me know by offering compensation and tell me I need to leave. We both know I can't call accessibility until tomorrow..

MSF
SMARTY Genius
SMARTY Genius

@AmyStewa_279164  Sorry to say, but if you really need a reliable connection to the outside world, mobile is not the way to go. Smarty themselves do make it clear that mobile data is no replacement for broadband.

Mobile just doesn't have the same reliability as landline.

I understand what you are saying. I have had no choice but to buy 2 landlines one for bedroom and one for living room where I sleep and can't move charger.

But prior to May I received and could make calls whilst connected to WiFi. What has happened since the notified 2 weeks maintenance where I have since lost full service? Minus receiving texts but no one receives my outgoing texts.

I have been paying consistently each month. Don't want to lose my phone number but I only leave twice a year to the hospital and want the option of data. Which I didn't have the last time and couldn't even call my carer to come get me. 

Is there a cheaper plan option for me? I was declined a replacement SIM as I would then be unable to have back office complete tech investigation or won't be entitled to compensation but was then informed that likely that's the only option I'll be offered..

Thanks.

@AmyStewa_279164  I don't understand why you would need two landlines at home - surely you can plug one master phone into the landline socket and use a duct phone as the second. I have successfully used four phones on one landline in my home for a long time.

As you are posting now, I assume that you already have broadband via one landline, so a pair of duct phones would do the job.

Do you think that the maintenance is due to a 3Gswitch off and new 5G capability being installed maybe?

Have you considered whether you are eligible for the Social Tariff - https://help.smarty.co.uk/en/articles/6867479-smarty-social-tariff